• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Oldest games you know

How about BAT on a MACE deadstart tape for a CDC 6600? I suspect there were also games for the PDP-1.
600px-CDC_6600.jc.jpg

(I even knew the author)

As regards video or not, people were playing Spacewar on teletypes back in the day. No video there.
As regards games in general, consider how advanced Airfight was on PLATO. Multiple players.

As regards video or not, people were playing Spacewar on teletypes back in the day. No video there.
Hah! Can't say I expected that. How would that even work? They're pretty quick, but certainly not real time.

Maybe I'm confusing it with Startrek, but there were lots of TTY games.
Here are some that ran on CDC CYBER under NOS...

Attachments

• STAR.ZIP
    12.4 KB · Views: 0
  • HOCKEY.ZIP
    3.4 KB · Views: 1
  • FTBALL.ZIP
    6.7 KB · Views: 0
My first my Channel F, got it used for a dollar, had a shooting gallery game with 3 sounds that came out of the wood grained console

I recall 'porting "Colossal Cave" from a PDP-10 tape to CDC SCOPE around 1975. No video there and immensely addicting. Before that, there was Northwestern U. Chess. I remember bringing version 3.0 up around 1973. That was a video game--you used the "T" (SCOPE 3.x) display on the left operator's display to show the chess board. A huge CPU time hog if you set the lookahead high.

Last edited:
First computer game was Gorf on the Vic 20... Classic! For console, it was Combat (Tank Game) for the Atari 2600. I think missile command was possibly the first arcade game. First online game was Trade Wars.

To me, on my own computer were JetPack and Road Frog. I should still have the tapes somewhere...

BTW, I think some of the best pizza I've had has been in Chicago.

Thems fighting words...

I am currently learning how to make mid 1970s elementary school sheet pizza that I looked forward to every Friday in the school cafeteria. LOL Unfortunately I can't get my hands on government issue cheese, but I plan on getting close to the flavor. Nostalgia is a funny thing and the Interwebs has some possible super secret lunch lady recipes.

There is a Greek-Style Pizza house back in my hometown. Whenever my buddy from from D.C comes up to visit we make it there and they still have a Ms. Pac-Man cocktail cabinet working.. Good stuff. Something about a pizza shop and a cocktail cabinet with a grape soda just works.

I should start a random thread about how you cant get good pizza outside the "Pizza belt". Chicago pizza is not pizza.. its good,, but lets face it, its cacerole. California? No you cant get good pizza in california, the closest thing to pizza is "Round table Pizza" And its been years since I have had that so who knows. The worst pizza I ever had was in dusseldorf Germany. They had "California style pizza" And honestly thats like copying a turd.... California pizza in california is bad. in it might as well been prison food.
I lost or misplaced the URL, but there is a guy on the net that refurbs all of those old time consoles and pinball machines. I've been wanting a Pac Man sit down table for years but everything I've stumbled across needs a CRT or this and that, and I just don't feel like jumping into the repair business. I do have a close friend up in Alpena that owns a restaurant and a few bars that has one, and I've trying to pry it loose from him for a few years now. Come to think of it, the guy I mention above uses LCD's instead of CRT's. Novel idea.

I recall 'porting "Colossal Cave" from a PDP-10 tape to CDC SCOPE around 1975. No video there and immensely addicting. Before that, there was Northwestern U. Chess. I remember bringing version 3.0 up around 1973. That was a video game--you used the "T" (SCOPE 3.x) display on the left operator's display to show the chess board. A huge CPU time hog if you set the lookahead high.
Something like the original 'Dungeons & Dragons" - no video from the early 70's.

I am currently learning how to make mid 1970s elementary school sheet pizza that I looked forward to every Friday in the school cafeteria. LOL Unfortunately I can't get my hands on government issue cheese, but I plan on getting close to the flavor. Nostalgia is a funny thing and the Interwebs has some possible super secret lunch lady recipes.
oh sure. Up until the mid 90s we had bakeries thst would make and sell those sheet pizzas we had in school. I havent had a piece since the early 90s myself and i dont see them sold anymote.. not that i live in thst area anymore so i couldnt say with any absolutes. But yeah call up a few bakers ans ask if she sell or make sheet pizza.

Pong at a local pizza place. I remember standing on a chair to see the screen.
Later on I received an Atari Super Pong as a gift. I was probably 6 at the time and still own it.
B&W games like Stunt Cycle appeared at places like Zayre's department store and my local roller-rink and were sort of edging out the mechanical pinball machines.
Then one day Space Invaders appeared and the fuse was lit!

And a video game is a video game...I don't care what it's played on.

I lost or misplaced the URL, but there is a guy on the net that refurbs all of those old time consoles and pinball machines. I've been wanting a Pac Man sit down table for years but everything I've stumbled across needs a CRT or this and that, and I just don't feel like jumping into the repair business. I do have a close friend up in Alpena that owns a restaurant and a few bars that has one, and I've trying to pry it loose from him for a few years now. Come to think of it, the guy I mention above uses LCD's instead of CRT's. Novel idea.

Owing an arcade game is like owning a classic car. They will require maintenance and they WILL break down. Keeping them up and running and as original as possible is more than half the fun. If you're not willing to wrench on them, save yourself the frustration and buy something like a modern generic 60 in 1.

game1.jpggame2.jpg

oh sure. Up until the mid 90s we had bakeries thst would make and sell those sheet pizzas we had in school. I havent had a piece since the early 90s myself and i dont see them sold anymote.. not that i live in thst area anymore so i couldnt say with any absolutes. But yeah call up a few bakers ans ask if she sell or make sheet pizza.
I obviously was joking about the gov issued cheese, but I'm guessing that was part of its unique flavor. It was probably cheap, but not half bad (as far as my kid brain thought). Nowadays, I like a deep dish baked in an iron pan. Pretty dang tasty. Best slice I've had in recent memory was sharing some pies with @luckybob @ Giordano's in the Chicago area when we picked up all that PPro gear back in 2018.

Last edited:
Pong

The first arcade machines I saw were Asteroids, Centipede and Berzerk. (in a bowling alley - no dedicated arcades yet)
I know what you mean. For the most part we had a roller rink and duck pin bowling alley that had a bunch of arcade cabinets which was more than good enough. Then we got an original chuck E Cheese which was the first real arcade.

Owing an arcade game is like owning a classic car. They will require maintenance and they WILL break down.
Tell me about it. Mine (car that is) is in for a simple service and MOT, then it needs a couple of flexi brake hosed, then it needs a couple of bits of copper pipe (all things I could have done at home but now is in the garage and needs them for the MOT test)

£1300 now due :(

and the roads are too salty to bring it home.

Back