• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Olivetti Quaderno

paul.brett

Experienced Member
Hello all. Some help required...

I've seen one of these on Ebay, and I've always wanted one. Unfortunately, either the hard drive is dead, or the DOS has been corrupted/erased, as the start-up message is 'Bad or missing Command Interpreter'.

As the unit has no in-built floppy drive, and the external unit appears to be missing from the auction, I was wondering if this is basically a 'brick'? Can anybody think of a way to rescue it (i.e. get an OS on it.)

Paul.

Olivetti Quaderno

I don't think so, and I doubt the BIOS would allow booting from it in any case (I think it is the XT model being sold)

I have however though of another possible solution. If the internal hard drive is standard IDE, I can blast files to it using another laptop (with floppy drive) and then put it back in the Quaderno. I also have a 2½" to 3½" (laptop to desktop) hard drive adapter which may also work.

I may yet bid on this item.

Paul.

Olivetti Quaderno

Dear Paul,
some years ago I owned one of these cute little things. As far as I remember, it has a standard 20MB Harddisc like Toshiba 1000 (XE?) or LE? Only THIS drive will work. It is a XT with a V30 CPU and nearly as fast as a 286 CPU.
Nearly....
Also, sometimes there are external FDDs on auctions, but hard to find.
Hope that helps
Charly DL4DBY

Reviving a Quaderno

Reviving a Quaderno

Paul,

If I remember correctly, there is a boot partition in ROM on the Quaderno, and it contains the standard MS-DOS serial comms tools (Interlnk, if I remember correctly).

The problem with the Quaderno is that its mechanical design is by far the worst of any computer I've ever seen. They are very hard to repair, with fidgety internal ribbon connectors that break or chip, and a multitude of other design faults. I've got three that I picked up, but I've given up fixing them. They look very cute, but if anything is wrong it's just hours of irritation...

My 2 cents' worth.

Regards,

Oscar.

Quaderno repair

Quaderno repair

Paul,

I probably just bought the Quaderno you were thinking about off ebay uk. I had ummed and ahhed over this as the original reserve price was something silly like £40.

Whilst the machine was faulty as advertised (no response from the hard disk) it was at least in excellent physical condition.

I spent much of yesterday afternoon trying to fix it. Firstly by dismantling it to pull the 2.5" 20MB hard drive which I put in another machine using a standard 2.5" - 3.5" converter. No joy there as the drive wouldn't even spin (I could at least hear it spinning inside the assembled Quaderno). By which I think we can assume the Conner 2.5" drive (one of the first ever in this form-factor) doesn't have a modern IDE spec compatible pin-out.

Then having read a bit more on the 'net I saw some posts referring to how the Conner drive heads can become stuck if the drive is left unused for many months (or years). The recommended fix for this (I kid you not) was to give the drive a few really good slaps side on. Amazingly this did the trick.

Following reassembly the machine booted-up straight into Olivetti branded DOS 5.0 and even let me run Norton Utilities and Lotus Works which were still installed on the hard disk. Result!

Hints for diagnosing and fixing this problem in other Quaderno’s are that hard disk can be heard to spin-up but that the BIOS self-test reports only 1 fixed disk found. This is the ROM drive not the hard drive itself. If the hard disk is working the machine will report 2 fixed disks.

The instructions on how to disassemble the Quaderno came from Sven Utcke’s website:

http://kogs-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/~utcke/Private/Palmtop/quaderno-assembly.html

and are reproduced below in case Sven’s very old website ever disappears:

Disassembling the Quaderno (21-Jul-1999) (c) Sven Utcke

Disassembling the Quaderno is actually quite easy, given its small size. All
that is needed is a small Phillips screwdriver:

Remove the Keyboard. The keyboard is held by a screw behind the port-door (on
the right), a screw below a pop-off plastic part on the left of the keyboard,
and a pop-off plastic part on the right of the keyboard. In addition, it is
connected to the main unit by two cables which fit into zero-force connectors
on the mainboard.

My keyboard is labelled:
MODEL: NO TWK4716-01C
PGS: NO 701009-04
SERIAL: NO 00000310
DATE: 92.03.13

Remove the numeric keypad (including function keys) and screen. This is held
by three screws at the back of the unit (behind plastic peel-off labels) and
three screws inside the battery compartment. It is also connected to the
mainboard by three cables which fit into zero-force connectors, and one ground
cable screwed to the mainboard. Be careful when removing these, as the screen
is connected to the rest of the computer by only three screws, all at the left
of the unit, and screwed into a rather fragile bit of plastic. Chances are
that the plastic broke a long time ago and everything will come apart at once.

You can use 2 components [Epoxy] glue to form a new thread if necessary.

The HDD is held by two screws at the right of the HDD. It is not soldered to
the unit, but connected using a plug. One ground cable is screwed to the
mainboard. My HDD is labelled:
Conner CP-2024
5V 640mA
K0WW35
CP2024
OLV02
BE 56421
KAT2.38 SG3 N

This is all I have done so far.

Sven Utcke

Finally, for anyone trying to install software, but who doesn’t have an external floppy unit, then provided you can get the hard disk working the easiest way is using PCMCIA type 1 SRAM cards. My machine will read a standard 1MB FAT12 formatted SRAM card with the installed Microsoft Card Services.

Hope this helps others.

Last edited:
my experience

my experience

I find tree major faults usually together in Quaderno: 1) broken case, 2) bad capacitors, 3) hard disk locked, 4) totally dead. How to fix:
1) use heavy two component plastic glue and a lot of patience.
2) dismount Quaderno, look at the mainboard's components. If you see some leakage close to the small aluminum cans (electrolytic capacitors) you have to replace it (difficult but not impossible for experts). Usually if you switch on the Quaderno after years of sleeping and it stops working in few minutes.
3) If disk spins ok but you have error at the boot and a sound as a bouncing ball you have the head arm locked. The back of the head arm is magnetized and unable to leave the park zone. You you can try revitalizing your disk with some big horizontal rotating shock but it's not easy and the fault repeat shortly. Two solutions: a) disconnect the hard disk from the IDE cable: Quaderno V30 will boot from internal ROM and you will use programs on floppy (dead disk is excluded). b) open the hard disk shell, move the head arm and put a small diaphragm (i used a simple piece of scotch) where the moving back arm touch the static block. This seem to solve the problem. Take care of the dust...
4) If the Quaderno is totally dead try AA battery and check the adapter (usually the adapter is broken; you can replace-it with any universal laptop adapter with 12V +tip). You could have a blown fuse. Quaderno has two micro-SMD fuses glued on the mainboard. Experts could short or replace-it.

I have a working unit, are you interested in it ?

There's one problem, and that is that the hinges are very loose (Monitor won't stand on it's own. Other than that it works fine.

Want me to dig it out and check it further ?

EDIT: Oh, crap.. I didn't notice the date.... Maybe I should go to bed now, I've got work tomorrow :)

Olivetti Quaderno

Hi
I have a Quaderno but sadly the conner 20mb HD is completely dead. Does any one out there have a spare HD or even faulty Quaderno for spares or repair with a sticking hard drive ?

Keep the Quaderno alive !

Thanks

Hi
I have a Quaderno but sadly the conner 20mb HD is completely dead. Does any one out there have a spare HD or even faulty Quaderno for spares or repair with a sticking hard drive ?

Keep the Quaderno alive !

Thanks

I have the whole thing, as said in the post above. Interested ?

Bad or missing Command Interpreter

Bad or missing Command Interpreter

Hello all. Some help required...

I've seen one of these on Ebay, and I've always wanted one. Unfortunately, either the hard drive is dead, or the DOS has been corrupted/erased, as the start-up message is 'Bad or missing Command Interpreter'.

As the unit has no in-built floppy drive, and the external unit appears to be missing from the auction, I was wondering if this is basically a 'brick'? Can anybody think of a way to rescue it (i.e. get an OS on it.)

Paul.

Did you solve it?

Hello All.
I have an old Quaderno with various original bits and pieces, including the operating manual and leads, etc etc. It's so long since I used it that I really can't recall whether it was all OK or not.
What I do remember is getting loads of good use out of this very lightweight and delightful machine.
I have everything in a package all ready to post and I would be very pleased if anyone has any use whatsoever for this classic machine which was so far ahead of its time!
Anyone in the UK who would like to have it need only let me know. I am happy to post it at my own expense, free of charge, to anyone in the UK.
Regards to all,
Mo

Thanks for the link to the fix. It helped me y=out. Have a great day.

Gene

Paul,

I probably just bought the Quaderno you were thinking about off ebay uk. I had ummed and ahhed over this as the original reserve price was something silly like £40.

Whilst the machine was faulty as advertised (no response from the hard disk) it was at least in excellent physical condition.

I spent much of yesterday afternoon trying to fix it. Firstly by dismantling it to pull the 2.5" 20MB hard drive which I put in another machine using a standard 2.5" - 3.5" converter. No joy there as the drive wouldn't even spin (I could at least hear it spinning inside the assembled Quaderno). By which I think we can assume the Conner 2.5" drive (one of the first ever in this form-factor) doesn't have a modern IDE spec compatible pin-out.

Then having read a bit more on the 'net I saw some posts referring to how the Conner drive heads can become stuck if the drive is left unused for many months (or years). The recommended fix for this (I kid you not) was to give the drive a few really good slaps side on. Amazingly this did the trick.

Following reassembly the machine booted-up straight into Olivetti branded DOS 5.0 and even let me run Norton Utilities and Lotus Works which were still installed on the hard disk. Result!

Hints for diagnosing and fixing this problem in other Quaderno’s are that hard disk can be heard to spin-up but that the BIOS self-test reports only 1 fixed disk found. This is the ROM drive not the hard drive itself. If the hard disk is working the machine will report 2 fixed disks.

The instructions on how to disassemble the Quaderno came from Sven Utcke’s website:

http://kogs-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/~utcke/Private/Palmtop/quaderno-assembly.html

and are reproduced below in case Sven’s very old website ever disappears:

Disassembling the Quaderno (21-Jul-1999) (c) Sven Utcke

Disassembling the Quaderno is actually quite easy, given its small size. All
that is needed is a small Phillips screwdriver:

Remove the Keyboard. The keyboard is held by a screw behind the port-door (on
the right), a screw below a pop-off plastic part on the left of the keyboard,
and a pop-off plastic part on the right of the keyboard. In addition, it is
connected to the main unit by two cables which fit into zero-force connectors
on the mainboard.

My keyboard is labelled:
MODEL: NO TWK4716-01C
PGS: NO 701009-04
SERIAL: NO 00000310
DATE: 92.03.13

Remove the numeric keypad (including function keys) and screen. This is held
by three screws at the back of the unit (behind plastic peel-off labels) and
three screws inside the battery compartment. It is also connected to the
mainboard by three cables which fit into zero-force connectors, and one ground
cable screwed to the mainboard. Be careful when removing these, as the screen
is connected to the rest of the computer by only three screws, all at the left
of the unit, and screwed into a rather fragile bit of plastic. Chances are
that the plastic broke a long time ago and everything will come apart at once.

You can use 2 components [Epoxy] glue to form a new thread if necessary.

The HDD is held by two screws at the right of the HDD. It is not soldered to
the unit, but connected using a plug. One ground cable is screwed to the
mainboard. My HDD is labelled:
Conner CP-2024
5V 640mA
K0WW35
CP2024
OLV02
BE 56421
KAT2.38 SG3 N
business process management
This is all I have done so far.

Sven Utcke

Finally, for anyone trying to install software, but who doesn’t have an external floppy unit, then provided you can get the hard disk working the easiest way is using PCMCIA type 1 SRAM cards. My machine will read a standard 1MB FAT12 formatted SRAM card with the installed Microsoft Card Services.

Hope this helps others.

A bit old I know, but I recently got hold of a quaderno with external floppy drive for just £3 (GB).

It appeared to be totally dead but I managed to get it to boot by holding the power button and pressing the little reset button at the side.

I could hear the HDD trying to read but it didn't accept it, reporting only one drive - The ROM drive.

Using the great info in this thread I was able to open the quaderno remove the hdd and fix it as described by Calculator. The disk access arm was stuck to the metal stop which defines it's furthest movement. Put it all back and it works fine and reads the floppy too, so I was able to load up some of my ancient, but still loved, MSDos programs. BTW - You will need a T7 (Torx) driver to open the drive.

The only problem I have is that pressing the power button shuts it down OK but I still have to press reset to get it to boot.

Whatever - I have had a good few hours fun playng about with it.

Anyone got a manual ?

Best Wishes to all

Anyone got a manual ?

Yes. And Receipts. And power adaptor. And Floppy Drive and caple. And cable kit ('serial 10pin - 9 pin / parrallel 36 pin - 25 pin') which I think was needed to connect to the printer (a cannon bubblejet that I gave away). And since mothballing, it has developed precisely the issue with HD lock-up that we are apparently instructed to give the thing a slap for. Presently, it recognises only one disk and then says 'bad or missing command interpreter' - and I get the noise as mentioned. I am most glad someone applied themselves to the fix, and that it is fixable.

I wrote several hundred thousand words on mine in the early 90's using 'wordperfect' installed onto the HD from floppy. I think I remember a chess program too. The hinge broke and I had it fixed, twice. The second time the bloke in the Milton Keynes Olivetti centre said they didn't support this machine anymore but he would be very glad to see one again, and charged me next to nothing. I can't remember precisely when I abandoned it in order to join the internet, but this was, of course, a serious mistake. And I don't know why I held on to it in various jiffy bags and boxes when I rushed out to buy... a blue clamshell ibook. The nice man in the apple store put all my wordperfect files into word for me.

I don't think I'm likely to play with it and I shouldn't really pay rent for it. If this item is wanted by a competent person, let me know. - David

Hi all!

i need help as i need so badly a working Olivetti Quaderno PT-XT

glorious vintage machine, put to shame the modern netbooks :)

i'm trying to revive my mother's Quaderno but

it doesn't power on, not with batteries (regular AA) nor with his power chord.

Tried to keep pushed the power on button while pushing the reset button.

No luck.

I'm thinking about changing the CMOS / tampon battery but i can't find it

disassembled the machine following these precious thread

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?10158-Olivetti-Quaderno

Any hint?

Deep thanks in advance for reading

G.

Hello, since a few weeks I also have three german Quadernos. All of them behave exactly the same, they don't switch on. With the last Quaderno I got, I got the tipp that it is required to replace the backup battery. So I purchased three new batteries, ebay no. 221356970644, as they have the correct connector, one only has to swap plus and minus in the connector. I have put them into my Quadernos - one has to takeout the mainboard to do it - and reassembled them. Two of them still did nothing. One of them I could see BIOS messages after pressing the power button for a while, I was looking so happy, but I still had my finger on the power button. When I released the button, it switched off. And now it behaves as dead again as the others. What must I do to wake them up from their deep sleep?

----

By the way, if you want to take out the mainboard, that is a bit tricky: After you have disassembled the keyboard, top keypad with display and the harddisk, you have to disconnect the battery, power and audio cable connectors. Remove one screw from the motherboard - but be carefull there are two more screws which d not fi the mainboard in the chassis, but they fix the pcmcia slot on the mainboard, better don't open them. Then you have to pull out the grey pcmcia release button. Best is to pull it out as far as possible and then stick a small scredriver in the hole of that grey button which can be seen outside of the Quaderno chassis, at the same time you have to bend up the grey button from the inside of the chassis with another screwdriver. Don't use force, just feel when the grey button unclicks and then it easily can be puled out. Then press the black part of the pcmcia release button back in the chassis, as deep as possible. Then it can bypass the chassis corner.

regards

1ST1

Back