• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

On-Board GPU, What Bus? How?

Raven

Veteran Member
I've got a Presario 425 (I'm sure you all know, lol) and am now curious what bus the GPU is on. It's a Cirrus Logic GD-5420, and it's either VLB or ISA. I hope it's VLB, for performance sake, but I really would like to find out. How can I? Normally I'd open it and look, but since it's On-Board... I know in anything newer it'd likely be PCI bus, but this has no PCI chipset at all, so it's gotta be VLB or ISA.

As far as Google knows, it was only made in ISA form when it was in card form, so I'd imagine it's ISA then?

If it's the exact same motherboard as the Prolinea Net/25 then IIRC Linux was identifying it as ISA.

If it's the exact same motherboard as the Prolinea Net/25 then IIRC Linux was identifying it as ISA.
That doesn't completely rule out that it's VLB though.
Perhaps you could run some benchmarks on it to find out for sure?

That settles that, I suppose. Shame, really - this box would be far nicer for late DOS games if it were a bit faster in the video department - at least the POD really helped with them, but Quake's still slower than I'd like.

Bah, if I took that attitude I'd never get anywhere with these insane projects! :D

It's already "playable", I'm just trying to increase speed even more.

Bah, if I took that attitude I'd never get anywhere with these insane projects! :D

It's already "playable", I'm just trying to increase speed even more.
Lol sorry, you're right ;)

I just don't know what else you could do except to max out all the hardware (memory, CPU, cache etc).

Back