• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Open case on Toshiba T3100?

strollin

Experienced Member
I'm trying to open the case on a Toshiba T3100. I've removed all of the screws I can find and I can get the front of the case to start open but the rear of the case won't budge. Is there a trick to getting this open? I have a sneaking suspicion that there is a screw hidden under the foil SN sticker on the bottom but don't want to tear up that sticker if possible.

I have a 3100e which has a two-piece top half: the keyboard front and the rear cover with the display etc. No screw under the sticker on mine; assuming yours is the same it's probably the latch in the back holding you up:

3 screws under the front will release the keyboard (2 plastic latches inside the slot for the lid latch). Lift it up and out of the way and remove 2 screws holding the aluminum shield. Remove the shield, unlatch the keyboard connector and remove the keyboard.

Remove the three screws along the upper front and two screws from below at the rear. There is also a locking tab in the center of the rear joint between the upper and lower half; pry up carefully under the upper half with a knife or similar tool to release.

Check the battery while you're in there, it'll probably need replacement. Why do you want to open it up anyway?

mike

Last edited:
I needed to get in there because the floppy drive wasn't working. I finally got it open and got the drive working, found a loose screw in there.

The case on mine has both the upper and lower halves as single pieces. There were 2 screws I missed that were accessed thru slots in the bracket for the handle at the rear of the machine. Once I found those 2 screws and removed them the case came apart easily.

Yeah, it did sound like yours had a one-piece top; another difference between the 3100 and the -e. Glad you got it sorted.

Back