• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Opinions Please; AZZA PT-5IT - AMD K6 200ALR - 16MB EDO - 512K L2

ibmapc

Veteran Member
Anyone here familiar with THIS MOTHERBOARD? I just bought it cause it looked pretty feature rich and was at a decent price. I'd like to use it as a "Tweener" due to the ISA and PCI slots. Let me know what you think. Did I make a good purchase? What kind of video card should I look for for it? I'm thinking PCI, Maybe twin head so that I can run dual monitors?

Greg

Anyone here familiar with THIS MOTHERBOARD? I just bought it cause it looked pretty feature rich and was at a decent price. I'd like to use it as a "Tweener" due to the ISA and PCI slots. Let me know what you think. Did I make a good purchase? What kind of video card should I look for for it? I'm thinking PCI, Maybe twin head so that I can run dual monitors?

Greg

Greg:

Great looking board and looks like it was a steal. Be careful with any GeForce 6 series video cards, as they have some known problems with the VIA chip set.

Tom

Even if you pimped the machine out with a P200 and a 512k COASt module, it's going to be too slow to utilize dual monitors properly, unless you plan on having static or infrequently changing windows.

I would recommend something like a TNT2, Voodoo3 or Rage 128 Pro. If you planned on only 2D, something like a MGA Millennium II with the RAM expansion module to give it 8 MB.

See that second notch on the connector. I was wrongly thinking that was PCI-E. After further research, it looks like that is 3.3v or 5v PCI. The motherboard I purchased has the PCI slots that accept cards with one notch toward the front. I guess the cards with two notches will work also as long as they're 32 bit. I've not had much experience with any PCI cards after the early ones.

I guess the cards with two notches will work also as long as they're 32 bit.

Entirely depends on the firmware on the PCI card.

Some newer PCI video cards use later x86 instructions not present on 486 or early Pentium CPUs and may fail to work. I have a Geforce4 MX4000 and a Geforce FX5200 PCI which won't work on a 486 or early Pentium chips. It doesn't bother me that much though because those CPUs could never hope to drive those video cards, let alone the OS and drivers required to run them.

So, I bought this card. I couldn't resist the opportunity to try dual monitors with this motherboard. Keep in mind, this is not intended for gaming, so performance with twin screens may not be that big of a deal. We'll see.

Do you think I wasted my money on this card?

So, I bought this card. I couldn't resist the opportunity to try dual monitors with this motherboard. Keep in mind, this is not intended for gaming, so performance with twin screens may not be that big of a deal. We'll see.

Do you think I wasted my money on this card?

No, I have that card in my P III tweener on an Intel mobo. I don't use it for gaming and have never ran any benchmarks, but it works fine with no issues.

Anyone have experience with THIS CARD? I'd like to try to run two of them with aforementioned motherboard. The price looks decent.

FYI: It is easier to follow the thread, as well as show up in search engines, if you replace "this card" and "this motherboard" with the actual names of what they link to. The card can be discerned from the URL, but the motherboard can't because it goes to an ebay auction.

Back