• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Orange PET - Ebay UK

Hehe. When I read the title of this thread, my mind immediately went to that episode of the Brady Bunch where the kids are trying to sell this terrible shampoo, and accidentally spill it onto a bunch of rabbits, which colors them orange...

-Ian

I can't help it I keep looking at that auction. Why oh why does it have the be in the uk? :(

Something eerie and creepy about it that I just love... :blush:
I could just see it playing a villain in an older sci fi movie, kinda like hal but 10x more evil!

Either it's orange or it has SEVERE yellowing. If its truly orange, they must have had four year olds working for that company or, they ran it by the Crayola factory before they put it on the shelves.

Why, do you think the paint finish is very bad so it must've been done by a four year old? It stands out in an environment of other equipment. I remember a repainted (blue?) PET with modified keyboard went on eBay a few years ago. It may even have been mentioned here on the forum. That one was even more spectacular as with a different keyboard and possibly display, it was very hard to recognize it as a PET at all.

I'm not saying it's bad, I'm saying it is a different looking computer and little kids like to color things. So, its just an out-of-the-ordinary piece.

Why did the label at the front says "MSE DP" and not something like Commodore PET or CBM?

It could also just be an OEM version for MSE (or whatever the data recorder company was callled).

-Tor

Company buys PET, adds board, paints case, prints a new label. Done. I'm not aware of any real pet clones, OEM, or third-party licenses, but anyone can do what they want after they buy one... ;-)

Steve

The machine in case was relabeled, OEM:ed or whichever term you like. Some companies sold supposedly customized PETs under own label.

It would be interesting to find out more info on this. I'm sure some companies modified them for their own internal use and never sold them (at the same time as commodore). I'd like to find out more background on the "Rhodes & Shwartz" and "Compu*tech" branded PET's...and now this one. How many were made? Were they sold to the public or just to other manufacturers/schools? Did Commodore "authorize" them or work with them? Someone must know.

Steve

At the time the PET with some custom interface boards was really the only choice if you were building/selling a specialized computerized industrial control/monitoring/analysis system, with its one-piece metal cabinet, IEEE488 more-or-less industry standard interface, flexible user port, pretty good keyboard, heavy duty power supply, etc., unless you were prepared to spend two or three times as much for name brand systems with little or no technical information available; not everyone relabelled them of course, but it was fairly common.

I was designing such a system at the time and was also planning to use PETs (repainted with my company name on the front of course) until I decided to use AIM65s in a custom industrial enclosure instead.

Ok. So I was watching the auction end and I thought that it was going cheap so I stuck a bid in, half expecting to be outbid. I wasn't !!!
Plan to pick it up next weekend. Will post some nice photos once I have it :)

Well done. That's a good price. It will be interesting to know what the add-in board does?

Tez

Back