• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Original Altair 8800 in kit form

Capri388

Just purchased a lot of vintage computers. I aquired 2 IMSAI 8080 , an ICOM Attache' , 2 SOL-20, various 8 inch Altair floppy drives, NorthStar 5 1/4 drives, a part of a Pertec 300/55 system including the Hard drive controller and Hard drive itself (Very Heavy !), and an original Altair 8800 in kit form. Is the Altair kit valuable in the day and age of people making reproductions?

I’d say, put that kit on eBay and watch the bids roar in.

Originals are always worth more than reproductions it seems -- the few original OSI boards I've sold go for way more than the reproductions Dave and I have made. I'd imagine it's even more so with Altair stuff. Finding a vintage, unbuilt kit is extremely rare, and you'll have two main groups fighting over it: those who want to *build* it, and those who want it as part of their collection.

Very good equipment haul, by the way. I keep telling folks that this stuff isn't as rare as some people want you to believe, it's just a matter of getting out there and finding it. The real deals aren't sitting on eBay.

Any luck getting any of these relics up and running again? I have been looking for an Altair 8800 and a IMSAI 8080 and a SOL 20, to add to my collection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyqKAwSxMFE

I have a second original Apple II on its way, that I will be willing to trade, as soon as I check it out, and get it working again.

Rebuilt the keyboards and replaced some bad ram chips in the SOL-20 computers. They are both up and running. I will hook up a cassette to the and check out those ports. Both of the IMSAI -8080s are now powering up and I have programmed some simple test programs through the front panel and they responded great. The Pertec Attache comes up, but its looking for a disk drive. I also fixed the Pertec 80mb hard drive. Still sorting through stuff. Purchased an old Sanyo monitor to check these old machines out.

Just purchased a lot of vintage computers. I aquired 2 IMSAI 8080 , an ICOM Attache' , 2 SOL-20, various 8 inch Altair floppy drives, NorthStar 5 1/4 drives, a part of a Pertec 300/55 system including the Hard drive controller and Hard drive itself (Very Heavy !), and an original Altair 8800 in kit form. Is the Altair kit valuable in the day and age of people making reproductions?

Would it be possible for you to post photos of the altair unassembled kit? Never seen one. Thx!

That sounds like a lot of fun, I would love to play with an old IMSAI 8080. I love programming in assembly language or machine language.

Can you send me some pics??? Would love to see these old machines up and running.

Have an Altair 8800

Have an Altair 8800

Any luck getting any of these relics up and running again? I have been looking for an Altair 8800 and a IMSAI 8080 and a SOL 20, to add to my collection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyqKAwSxMFE

I have a second original Apple II on its way, that I will be willing to trade, as soon as I check it out, and get it working again.

If you are still looking for an Altair 8800 (assembled, was a kit) that was in use for a few years before being retired, please contact me: LOUISO@COMCAST.NET

Back