• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

OS for IBM PS/1 486 SX

Timaru

Please bare with me as I'm clueless about operating systems and booting up computers as a whole and I am not sure I'm posting in the right section.

I have an IBM PS/1 486 SX.(edit)On startup it seem to be working but then halts after a line that says "Press any key to continue", that's after you press a key. Prior to this it operated with Window's OS then a file was moved accidentaly and it started up in MS DOS instead. Later some old guy came to our house and installed Xtree Gold I have no idea how it got to the (edit)halting stage but any help or advice to get it opperating again would be much appreciated, thanks.

Hopefully that was short and sweet but not too vague, let me know.

Last edited:
486SX? Sound most likely like it ran Windows 3.1 (or maybe Windows 95). Either way, they require MS-DOS to run.

Do you have the original Windows floppies/CD-ROM, & the original MS-DOS floppie(s)?

No I don't'have any floppies to speak of. I'm guessing you would suggest I reinstall or boot from a floppy (there's only a 3'5 floppy drive on it) but no, and I can't remember the computer coming with some when we bought it. I'm
sure it did but memories of them are vague and almost seems like a dream when I try to remember. Any way I think that's pretty much what I'm missing, the original floppies.

So if the floppies are what I need will it correct this error I get on start up?

Unrecognized command in CONFIG.SYS
Error in CONFIG.SYS line7

Those are the two lines that standout to me everything else looks fine.

...So if the floppies are what I need will it correct this error I get on start up?

Unrecognized command in CONFIG.SYS
Error in CONFIG.SYS line7

Those are the two lines that standout to me everything else looks fine.

It has enough DOS to start to be functional. After it boots, type "VER" to get what version & flavor of DOS. You can do things like "TYPE CONFIG.SYS" to see an indication of what is causing the error message (probably something referenced that was removed). Do all that & report back here for the next steps.

Do you mean I should type it in at the command prompt because that doesn't show up after the "press any key to continue" line like I said in the first post. I do however get the Configuration Utility pop up if press v right before anything alse appears on screen bar the cursor.But I don't think that was what you were talking about. Or was it? Bassically after "press any key to continue" nothing I press does anything except for ctrl-alt-del to restart.

Do you mean I should type it in at the command prompt because that doesn't show up after the "press any key to continue" line like I said in the first post. I do however get the Configuration Utility pop up if press v right before anything alse appears on screen bar the cursor.But I don't think that was what you were talking about. Or was it? Bassically after "press any key to continue" nothing I press does anything except for ctrl-alt-del to restart.

Yes, I had missed about the keyboard not able to continue past the error. Perhaps to describe the exact sequence of sounds & screen when you power up:

[power on]
one beep
etc...

You could make a bootdisk from http://www.bootdisk.com

There should be an IBM model-submodel code on a label somewhere. Something like "2011-XXX", "2123-XXX", etc. That will place exactly what your model is, even to the HDD size, CPU, & original OS many times.

Can you take a picture or find one online that looks like yours? Is it a Consultant tower? I have one of those. Also, it sounds like the cmos battery has died. if it tells you to go to setup but then doesn't let you then your bios may need resetting (and a new coin battery).

Nathan

Tanks for the responses guys and thanks for the link IBMMuseum (one beep on startup) I made a booot disk using dos6 although the version on the system is dos5, it works though. I actually found a folder with backup disk recovery files in it I think I saved them there cause I didnt have any floppys at the time. So I've been trying to figure out how to get those files onto floppys to see if I can use them to restore the systems orginal operating state any tip on this would be great, thanks. Oh and the backup files are labeled with the .zip extension is that a problem?

NathanAllan
ibm_ps1.jpg

The PS/1's were IBMs venture into the mass consumer market some time after the PCjrs failed. The model you have (you can see the model # on the IBM label on the back or underside), is one of the later PS/1 models. The earlier 2011, 2121, were powered by the monitor, like the Amstrad 1640.

What they all had in common was built-in MSDOS 4 with a quadrant screen (4 sectors giving you easy access to 4 programs, MSWorks, an internet service (the Source?), another one I can't recall (Lotus?), and the operating system.

Most users upgraded soon to Dos5 which lost you the "stub" containing the OS and quadrant feature, just like upgrading the Tandy 1000s to Dos 5 lost you the built-in the "Deskmate" app. You needed some special programs to reinstall the "stubs". I beleve one of them could have been the "recovery program" These could be the ones you have in the folder you mention. guard them well because I doubt IBM(LeNova) still supplies them and they are rare. I still have mine for my 2011, 2123, and 2133's.

Get a "free" copy of Winzip or pkzip if you're using MSdos, Unzip the PS/1 files to a folder and then download them to 3.5 floppies. For safeties sake I'd make 2 copies of each set-up disk. There should be a read-me file to tell you how to use them. I don't know if there are any problems related to doing this with an XP or ME2000.

On the other hand you PS/1 could have already been upgraded to DOS5 and if so it's likely just a configuration problem. Change one letter in your config.sys name and try it that way, if not check your autoexec.bat file and do the same if that doesn't work. If it works try and isolate the prolem by placing a star at the beginning of each line in your config or autoexec file.

The 486SX was a rip-off 486DX chip whose math coprocessor failed testing or was one with a deliberately disabled FPU to supply the 486 to the consumer market at a cheaper price. But it worked for the time.

Lawrence

Back