• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Osborne 1 software disks

mwb

I'm looking for a bootdisk for an Osborne 1 computer. It does start up and ask for a system disk. The unit has 2 5.25" floppies and a 300 baud modem. If I could get a boot disk with the modem software I could probably fumble my way through making more disks with some of the images I've seen online. But my problem is not being able to write the first disk from a peecee. If anyone can help, I'd apreciate it. I'd be willing to pay a small fee or trade for older peecee (XT and up) hardware and some limited software.
Thanks,
Marc

I can help you out, but not for a couple of months.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, the vast majority of my collection is in storage pending a move. As soon as I recover it all, however, I can make copies of my Osborne boot disk(s) and related software. I think I might also have a terminal emulation package around somewhere.

If you haven't gotten a more immediate response before I'm relocated I'll do what I can.

Erik

I can help you out, but not for a couple of weeks. My O1 is also in storage, but given enough time I'll remember to drag it out and copy a bootdisk for ya. I need to make a trip over to the storage anyways. Don't be afraid to bug me about it if you still need them. I prolly need a few reminders. Let us know if you find them before I can help.

--T

Re: oops!

Re: oops!

"Terry Yager" wrote in message:

> Please disregard the double post...

Next to the
button there should be
an [edit] button & next to that there should
be a button with [x] on it. You should be
able to press that to delete the second
post! ;-)

Cheers.

P.S. (This is what the edit button can do!) :)
So even once you've posted it, you can
get rid of it. If not, I think Erik can! :)

Ok, I see the edit button, but there is no [x] button near it. I'm not sure how to use the edit function. I tried just uzing backspace to erase the extra post but that didn't work.

--T

I deleted the extra post.

I'm pretty sure you can delete your own posts, but I'll have to check on that since I can do just about anything with this account. . . :)

Erik

Erik said:
> I deleted the extra post.

> I'm pretty sure you can delete your own posts,
> but I'll have to check on that since I can do just
> about anything with this account. . . :)

Yes, I can delete my own posts using the [x]
button Erik! :)

So Terrry should be able to as well.

Cheers.

Well, again, I have delete for all posts.

Maybe you can only delete your last one. I'll have to check the FAQ or docs tomorrow when I get some time.

In any event, you can always clear a message with an edit and then PM me to delete it.

Erik

mwb: (getting back on topic)

Bad news mate. I went to storage today and brougt home my O1, but I can't get it to boot. I don't know if my bootdisks have gone bad, or if it is the drives themselves. I'm on my way to the computer store right now, and hopefully will be able to fix my problem tonight. I'll keep you posted on my progress...

--T

> Bad news mate. I went to storage today and
> brougt home my O1, but I can't get it to boot.
> I don't know if my bootdisks have gone bad,
> or if it is the drives themselves. I'm on my
> way to the computer store right now, and
> hopefully will be able to fix my problem
> tonight. I'll keep you posted on my progress...

Oh dear. Hope the machine wasn't stored in a
place too hot or too cold. Either of those
elements, could play havoc with the drives
themselves.

Cheers.

mwb: (again)

Well, I took my bootdisks to the computer shop and tried them in my friends machine. Three out of five booted his machine ok, so my problem is hardware. I'll go back tomorrow and strip parts from his extra (parts) machine, and hopefully get my O1 back operational again. At any rate, I should be able to use his machine to make copies for ya. I'll need to know your address to send them along. Email me off the board if you don't want your addy posted in a public forum.
Just click on the (pm) button below. Also, I need to know whether or not you can uze double density disks. The original one like mine (tan case), only supported single densith drives, but with an aftermarket kit you could do double density. The later model, (blue and wbite) all supported double density, afaik.

--T

cpm user,

Not too hot or too cold, but they had been stored in a slightly damp basement for about a year, so they have prolly gone bad from that. The A: drive was always flakey since I've had it, but the O1 allows you to boot from the B: drive with a secret key combo, so it was never a problem for me. The A: drive would read and write disks, just wouldnt boot them. Now my B: drive won't boot either, although it does try to. The head loads, seeks track zero, and begins to read, then it steps thru two or three tracks, then hangs up. Mebbe cleaning the heads will solve the problem. Wish me luck.

--T

Head cleaning can go a long way. The other thing to look for, if you're taking the machine apart anyway, is gunk on the belt spindles. They need to be as clean as possible or the rotational speed of the drive can be affected causing read and write errors.

Erik

Erik said:
Head cleaning can go a long way. The other thing to look for, if you're taking the machine apart anyway, is gunk on the belt spindles. They need to be as clean as possible or the rotational speed of the drive can be affected causing read and write errors.

Erik

Yes, it can. I've rescued other drives that way. I inspected the drive and it appears remarkably clean. In fact, the whole inside of the puter is nice and clean. I've had that machine disassembled before, but I don't rembr if I cleaned it at that time.
Another nice feature of the old drives is that the complete idiot (like me) can check the rotational speed with nothing more than a flouresent light. Some of them even allow you to adjust the speed with a pot on the logic board.

--T

> Not too hot or too cold, but they had
> been stored in a slightly damp
> basement for about a year, so they
> have prolly gone bad from that. The
> A: drive was always flakey since I've
> had it, but the O1 allows you to boot
> from the B: drive with a secret key
> combo, so it was never a problem for
> me. The A: drive would read and
> write disks, just wouldnt boot them.
> Now my B: drive won't boot either,
> although it does try to. The head
> loads, seeks track zero, and begins to
> read, then it steps thru two or three
> tracks, then hangs up. Mebbe
> cleaning the heads will solve the
> problem. Wish me luck.

Yes, it sounds like a sad case of affairs.
I do hope it's something which can be
fixed, without resorting to buying more
hardware. I do hope All the Best with
that.

Cheers.

Back