• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Out of antistatic bags!

What sort of parts? If they're iCs, they can be stored in antistatic tubes, or stuck into styrofoam covered with aluminum foil. Of course, non-sensitive parts, such as resistors and capacitors can be stored however you'd like. Also, it's very difficult to damage TTL ICs with ESD by casual handling (not impossible, but difficult).

I store expansion cards (PCI, ISA) in kerfs cut in pieces of 2x8 fir. The kerfs themselves are angled perhaps 10 degrees off of vertical. Keeps things neat. Motherboards could probably be stored in pizza boxes having a layer of aluminum foil on the bottom.

Ah, that sounds easy enough. Thanks!
Does it have to be cardboard though?

I have lots of clear plastic bins, but if they're no good cardboard is easy enough to come by.

Can't beat Chucks "cheap way !"

Have used it for many things in past.

But Staples an office supply store has "pink" antistatic bubblewrap.

Also, Jameco has sheets of black antistatic foam - but not cheap !

I had similar issues with a lot of chips and other electrostatic issues and they were valuable - "one of a kind !"

Hope this is some help - but share your not immediate obvious issues - you would think they would be all over the place

Also check out www.uline.com - nationwide - I have not gotten antistatic bags from them, but a lot of other stuff - they have a warehouse only a few miles from me so I get it UPS next day after ordering.

Frank.

are there any local computer shops near you? I throw away tons of bags every week. (1 large bag for every motherboard I build, 1 small bag for the hard drive). Just make a visit to a few and ask if they have any bags they could donate/sell to you.

Later,
dabone

What sort of parts? If they're iCs, they can be stored in antistatic tubes, or stuck into styrofoam covered with aluminum foil. Of course, non-sensitive parts, such as resistors and capacitors can be stored however you'd like. Also, it's very difficult to damage TTL ICs with ESD by casual handling (not impossible, but difficult).

I'm cutting some Styrofoam now but it's sticking to everything, is this really safe and I'm just misunderstanding how ESD works?

As long as you cover the styrofoam completely with aluminum foil, you'll be fine. If you use the extruded styrofoam that's sold for home insulation (e.g. the pink stuff by Owens-Corning), you don't get the mess--just score with a utility knife and snap it. It's also the best stuff for use as packing when shipping.

rigid-extruded-polystyrene-insulation-panels-for-walls-164575.jpg

Back