• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

P&T Surplus in Kingston, NY

glitch

Veteran Member
If you live in the Hudson Valley and haven't been to P&T Surplus, now is probably the time to go:

In addition to the huge variety of industrial surplus stuff, there's almost always vintage computer stuff there, and priced really reasonably! Everything from stuff as new as Pentium 3 era IBM Thinkpads, to neon lamp front panels off what I'd guess were IBM tabulating machines. I was there in early February and picked up a bunch of stuff from their board scrap, including a DEC Unibus core memory board, and a bunch of random scrap boards with tons of 2114 SRAMs and 4116 DRAMs. There was some S-100 stuff there too, but the card edge fingers had been sheared off for gold (Mr. Smythe says the boards often arrive that way).

I've found Augat wire wrap boards, boxes of wire wrap sockets, lots of 7400 series TTL, Z80s, 8080s, 6502s, 6800 series...all sorts of 8-bit vintage computer stuff. Sometimes there's ISA boards and SCSI hard disks.

That's too bad. I go there often and pick up old hard drives and an occasional old computer. Sometimes I scrounge around the metal pieces, etc.

I can relate to the ill health and financial issues that small family business have to deal with over time. We have had our own issues in our small family business. We are about twenty-five minutes from PT Surplus. I will be sad when they close. These kinds of places are hard to find.

Seaken

We are about twenty-five minutes from PT Surplus. I will be sad when they close. These kinds of places are hard to find.
Hopefully with more eyes on it, they can maybe see a pick-up in business. I get the distinct impression that Mr. Smythe keeps it running because it's what he wants to be doing!

Yes, again, I can relate. We went thru a very hard time for awhile and my FIL kept it all going with his personal money. We survived due to it being largely a labor of love.

Seaken

Checked them out and they have a little of everything. Nice folks, showed me some of his vintage computer collection. Worth a check if your in the area.

Bought a bunch of odds and ends. Saw a 40MB SCSI II drive just sitting at the counter bare for $10.00 I took a gamble and bought it. Took it home, works fine and not a single bad block! Even the error map has zero entries! Thats insane.

Last edited:
Back