• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Packard Bell LG 204

http://www.computerhope.com/ac.htm

I think you need to add the line: "C:\windows\win" at the bottom of autoexec. If that doesn't work, use the "Device=" prefix.

Anyway, this page defines typical settings for those two files. (I had to rebuild pretty much every important file from scratch to get my Packard Bell working. And I don't have a CD-ROM for it...)

Oh, have you tried LinkMaven? You can set your old computer to use the Dremote (Dos Remote) program, hook the computers up using a direct-cable connection plug plugged from the old computer's printer output to the new computer's printer output (male-to-male these plugs have), then use the proper LinkMaven transfer program on the newer computer to transfer files. :D (The cable is sold seperately and it's a $25 shareware program... :( ). But it works like a jiffy. :)

www.briggsoft.com/lmaven.htm

It doesn't compare to having a CD-ROM in the computer, but it is just stable enough to send a few files at a time (or one at a time) between computers. Another great file transfer utility is IntelliMover. It comes with a USB-to-USB cable and the needed direct-cable-connector cable. (But the software itself only works with a minimum of Windows 98 ... or is it Windows 95.) SO if you have both programs (download linkmaven, see if you can get the box version of IntelliMover), you're all set to transfer files.

We have been trying lots of things. Finally got the ide ports all working, found atapi software at driverguide.com (good tip we got here to do that), that worked to get the CD drive working. Grandson is trying to get Win95 on it. Works with Dos and Win3.1 now and has a 1gig harddrive installed on it. Frustrating but fun.

I'll end up putting more ram in it and setting the 1 gig as a secondary hdd because the packard bell has a bunch of extra software that I can't get to work on the 1 gig. if I can find one of those programs to copy all the files to the 1 gig i will and set the stock 541 mb as a secondary hdd. the wierd thing about the cdrom is it only is detected when unjumpered, and the original one doesn't read at all so I tried to fit a different one in there but it doesnt let the mount slide into position all the way.

Well I put a different cdrom drive in it from a parts computer and amazingly it worked! I was able to install windows 95 which has been my only goal for the past 3 months or so. It is pretty slow but my grandpa is sending me more ram for a total of 16mb with an extra 8mb stick. thanks for all your help guys, youre the best!!!!!:D :p

Back