• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Packard Bell NiMH Battery Corrosion Problem

vintageestatefinds

Experienced Member
Hello, I recently picked up a Packard Bell Legend desktop computer and it does not post nor beep. The original Packard Bell seal was still in tact, so I opened it up and saw the Varta NiMH battery had burst. I have read about these batteries and that the corrosion can destroy a motherboard, so I would like to know if this motherboard is likely dead or could possibly still work with a new battery and the corrosion cleaned off.

If it can, I read an external CR2032 battery holder can be connected to 3 pins rather than having to try one of the possible battery modifications. It's not marked EXT BATT but there are 3 pins right next to the NiMH battery labeled J28 Jbt, so I think it may be worth a shot connecting one of these to it with a coin battery and seeing what happens.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111328643087?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Attachments

• IMG_1845.jpg
    IMG_1845.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1846.jpg
    IMG_1846.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Only way to be sure is to try it with the new battery. Considering it looks like damage has spread to include voltage regulators, the system is likely to be unstable without additional repairs. I can't see the traces from the pictures to figure out exactly what other components are likely to be disabled.

If this were my system, I'd replace the battery with a battery holder for 3 AA alkaline cells and a series diode (to block charging voltage). Move the assembly off the motherboard where, if it leaks, It can't do any damage. What K said about removing the battery and cleaning up the damage--and then careful inspection, first.

The 3 alkaline AAs will probably last a decade.

I don't know how to solder so I figured attaching the CR2032 holder to those pins would be simplest. However, I just noticed a jumper diagram on the inside of the case as pictured and it does not note what the J28 jumper I thought might be used for an external battery is used for. I presume since it is located next to the battery that is what it's for but am not certain.

Attachments

• IMG_1847.jpg
    IMG_1847.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 1
If you connect another battery, keep in mind this motherboard will try to recharge it - so a diode (to prevent current from travelling TO the battery) inline with a 3xAA pack is generally a good solution. It'll provide just under 4V without risking battery damage.

If it's not starting as it is, then I'd be expecting to replace some of the components and/or repair damaged PCB traces. Often it's just more efficient to replace the motherboard.

I don't know how to solder...

Then take it to someone who does. Given the photographs you posted, there's almost certainly some damage to traces around the battery "explosion".

... so I figured attaching the CR2032 holder to those pins would be simplest.

Attaching another battery to the motherboard before the mess is cleaned-up and verified repaired could cause more troubles. If other components are damaged (i.e.-voltage regulators), it could render the motherboard completely useless.

Above the battery the corrosion wore down to the copper as pictured, so I presume as you mention the traces are damaged. Oh well, thanks for the quick replies.

Attachments

• IMG_1849.jpg
    IMG_1849.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 1
Maybe, maybe not--if only the resist (the green coating) is damaged, repair can be pretty simple.

Bur I suspect that you may be in over your head. It would be good to get some thelp with this.

The area (now that you've cleaned it) appears to be worst at (and likely below) U52. You need to take it to someone (as mentioned) with not just soldering skills, but someone with surface-mount soldering skills to check it out (and likely replace U52).

The electrolyte is alkaline. It must be neutralized as well as cleaning
the metal salts.
Use white vinegar to neutralize as it is easy to wash off with water
and it evaporates.
Dwight

Yeah that's what killed my first computer (a PB Legend...). The battery leaked and corroded the motherboard traces. The best the board will do now is hang a post.
Not really an economical repair when the damage gets extensive

The board would POST even there is no battery at all if there was no other damage

Back