• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Packing CRT Monitor. Need some input

Frankie

Experienced Member
I'm going to ship a 30lb IBM 8513 monitor and I'm going to send it via FedEx. Do you guys think I should change the way I packaged the display?

The monitor itself is packaged in a box with styrofoam on each corner (1.5" gap between the box). The monitor stand itself is placed in it's own box with foam padding. I then place both boxes in a larger box and pad it with packing peanuts (2.5" gap between the top and bottom & 1.5" on the sides).

What do you think?

Last edited:
It's not bad, but make sure that nothing will move in the box, regardless of what orientation the box is placed in. I'm not a big fan of loose peanuts. At least put them in some bags so they don't migrate (especially into the equipment). I use extruded polystyrene insulating foam--it's very tough and doesn't crumble like expanded foam.

But movement is the killer.

FWIW

I'll second Chuck's statement. Loose peanuts are useless when used to surround large, heavy objects. Bagged peanuts is better. Tightly crumpled paper is way better yet.

FWIW, I always let FedEx pack my NEC Multisyncs (38 pound beasts) when I ship them. They charge ~ $20.00 and every one has arrived safely.

Back