• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Patching ZRQCH0 to use any geometry MFM hard disk on RQDX3

Lou - N2MIY

Veteran Member
Folks,

It seems back in November of last year I drafted a document that explains how to patch ZRQCH0 using UPDAT to use ANY geometry MFM hard disk, not just RDxx disks. There are bits and pieces of how to do this floating around the internet, but I wanted to explain how to do it from soup to nuts. I sent a preliminary copy to someone for them to review, but can't remember getting feedback. If anyone would like to review the draft (in M$ Word format), they can send me a PM with a proper e-mail address and I will send it to them. I request that they tell me about all errors and do not forward it, so that an error-free version can be published eventually. This thread might be a good place to discuss the errors. When perfected, we can attach it to this thread.

Lou

I would not only like to review this, but I'd like to try it out! I have a machine I can try this out on, I just need to test/fix the power supply. I'll get right on that.

Last edited:
Hey Lou,

I could also vet the document. I bought 3 MFM drives at a hamfest this year. You have my email address already.

-Crawford

Lou, did you ever publish your ZRQCH0 document somewhere?

Is the source code listing you have for ZRQCH0 in machine readable format? Is that posted anywhere?

-Glen

Hi All;
LOU, I also would like a copy, I can at least do a spell and sentence look, since I don't have anything I can Run it on, But, I do have Plenty of MFM Drives..
I think you have my PM address or email address, if not Just ask me for it..

THANK YOU Marty

Glen,

I never posted it because I only ever got feedback from one person I sent it to. If you don't have a copy already, send me a PM with a real e-mail address.

As for the listings, I photographed them from the screen of my fiche reader. RSX11M+ (the man, not the OS) was kind enough to clean them and convert them to .PDF. They are huge. If you PM your snail-mail address I can mail you a CD. We have scanned them all, ZRQCA0 through H0. Be advised though that the H0 listing is a lot less useful than some of the earlier listings. It is missing all the comments to the code.

Marty,

Please PM with your e-mail address also, because I'm sure I lost it....

Lou

PS. Crawford mentioned that he wanted to disassemble the code in the roms on the RQDX3. That will be a good companion to the ZRQC?? listings.

Last edited:
Hi Lou:
Am interested in reviewing this document. I could not figure out how to send a private email to you, so am hoping you will see this.

-John

John,

Yes, I see this. You likely should be able to send a PM now. Most likely there was a wait time since I see this is your first post. Send me your proper e-mail address in a PM and I will send you the document.

I would like, but have not yet tried, to use this patch to format an enormous simulated disk under David G's MFM emulator. That will be a project for over Christmas holiday.

Lou

John,

Yes, I see this. You likely should be able to send a PM now. Most likely there was a wait time since I see this is your first post. Send me your proper e-mail address in a PM and I will send you the document.

I would like, but have not yet tried, to use this patch to format an enormous simulated disk under David G's MFM emulator. That will be a project for over Christmas holiday.

Lou

well, I just tried again. right clicked on your name and selected Private Message and I got a message saying I am not allowed to access this page. Very strange. In any case, you can send the info to uniquelogin2000@yahoo
Thank you!

-John

Lou, I can't remember if I ever got a copy of this from you. Maybe I should get one now just to make sure I actually have a copy.

I just got an MFM emulator board a couple of days ago. I haven't gotten around to trying it with an RQDX3 or anything else yet.

-Glen

Lou, thanks for the copy. It reads very well and gives a nice background to the task involved too.

When I get a few hours I will figure out a table for an unusual disk and see if I really do understand what the doc says.

I too have a few MFM emulator boards and will also try things out on them - once a real disk is disking properly.

Another way to get some more old hardware back into life.

Back