• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

paypal credit fueling higher ebay prices

curtis

Veteran Member
Has anyone noticed with the addition of paypal credit becoming more common bidders are willing to go a bit higher on auctions?

I've noticed it on some of my auctions. Seems people are more willing to go a touch higher knowing they can stretch the payback out over 6 months.

AND, I know it's driven me to bid higher on a couple of items...

Not me... my last ebay purchase was a Famicom copy of Hatris for $1.74 buy it now lol... Paypal credit seems like a bad idea to me. Must have some insane interest or something.

cant say I see anything like that going on.. Anyone have a paypal credit card here? I do not, I have a paypal business debit card, but that is all.

Paypal credit seems like a bad idea to me. Must have some insane interest or something.

It screams the equivalent to those Instant Loan places or third party appliance/automotive dealerships that offer on-site loans. I've never used it myself but already owning a credit card it makes absolutely no sense to go with Paypal credit unless every other card vendor you call up is running away in terror at your credit score.

Must have some insane interest or something.
It does now since they switched banks that service their accounts. It used to be 19% but with 6 months no interest on $99+ it makes it better. Now I think it is 25.5%, which yeah, like must other credit cards is insane.

If anything I've noticed prices going down. Stuff people got into bidding wars for years ago seems to sit longer and asking price cuts seem to be more common. I suspect financing might help push prices of the really in demand stuff, like Altairs, etc. Those seem to keep drifting upwards. But not for most other things.

Go with a credit card from a credit union.

“With a credit card from a credit union, your interest rate is capped under federal law,” said Aaron Aggerwal, assistant vice president of credit cards at Navy Federal Credit Union. “You’ll often find lower interest rates and other fees on credit union-issued credit cards. For example, the Navy Federal Platinum card doesn’t have a balance transfer or foreign transaction fee, starts at a low APR, and all cards are capped at 18%.”

Freely available mortgages drive the price of housing up. Same deal--with 30 year debt, people often buy more than they should.

Credit works for those who can manage it--and is a disaster for those who can't.

If anything I've noticed prices going down. Stuff people got into bidding wars for years ago seems to sit longer and asking price cuts seem to be more common. I suspect financing might help push prices of the really in demand stuff, like Altairs, etc. Those seem to keep drifting upwards. But not for most other things.

I have seen prices for the stuff I collect going up so it probably means some stuff is more popular and some is less popular over time. Don't think Paypal credit has much to do with it, credit in general has been around forever now.

I haven't owed anybody anything for years, and that's not because I'm rich either. I don't even use a credit card. Credit for a Paypal purchase? Wow, there's got to be some desperate people out there.

Apparently there is a huge difference between $200 and four low, low, payments of only $49.95! (limitedtimeofferorderyourstoday!)

Apparently there is a huge difference between $200 and four low, low, payments of only $49.95! (limitedtimeofferorderyourstoday!)

When I was young we had layaway (before everyone had a credit card at birth). You basically had to think about purchases since you would be paying on an item for a long time BEFORE you had your hands on it. Got rid of impulse purchases. $49 a month is more affordable then $200 when you have a shit job. How do you think places like a Rent-A-Center make money? No difference between somebody paying on a new car for 5-7 years compared to another person just paying cash.

The rental places depend a lot on people's laziness, also. Renting furniture and appliances month after month, even when you've paid for the thing a couple of times over is convenient.

I have a paypal credit card (I used to have an X.COM credit card, if anyone remembers that). I've never carried an unpaid balance, however. The same for my other credit cards.

It does now since they switched banks that service their accounts. It used to be 19% but with 6 months no interest on $99+ it makes it better. Now I think it is 25.5%, which yeah, like must other credit cards is insane.

I get unsolicited spam credit card offers in the mail every few months from like Capital One saying I qualify for their ultra hyper ultimate gold diamond pearlone111! card for the low, low interest rate of 29.99%. Needless to say, they all get shredded and thrown in the recycling bin. I've never had a credit card, nor do I ever plan to have one. I have seen how easy it is to get into debt trouble and how impossible it is to get out once you're in.

I remember years ago before legislation was passed, they used to send you real credit cards with your name on them, all you had to do was call a number to activate them. I can't see why they ever thought that was a good idea.

The rental places depend a lot on people's laziness, also. Renting furniture and appliances month after month, even when you've paid for the thing a couple of times over is convenient.

Renting some things is convenient, some other things areen't so much.

I've come across people over the years who have done the rent-to-own thing with computers and expensive electronics, only to end up upside down when they became obsolete or broke.

I have a paypal credit card (I used to have an X.COM credit card, if anyone remembers that). I've never carried an unpaid balance, however. The same for my other credit cards.

I've never had a credit card, nor do I ever plan to have one. I have seen how easy it is to get into debt trouble and how impossible it is to get out once you're in.
I'm with Chuck. I've got about seven credit cards and none of them ever carries an unpaid balance unless I've had to purchase something with a really large price tag and even that gets paid off rather quickly.

I use Credit Cards only as a convenience and not as a nearly unlimited source of money.

With the exception of a house or possibly a vehicle, if you can't afford it pay for it in full, you don't really need it. Using paypal credit to buy junk on ebay is just asking for trouble.

I use a credit card for convenience and security only. Pay it off in full every month. If it gets stolen, I'm not responsible.

Back