• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

"PC 3" and "PC Four" for archiving TRS 8

billdeg

Technician
Just a quick note...I am working to archive my TRS 80 III/4 disks to PC using a set of software programs, PC 3 and PC Four. Installed on an IBM XT, I can format disks to be used on a TRS 80 Model III or 4...and then make disk images of TRS DOS formatted disks that can be saved onto a PC. I can also make backups of the OS ROM's. Most important these programs actually emulate the TRS 80 III and 4 on a PC using the disks you've archived. Pretty cool.

I was getting concerned because I have a lot of diskettes that I wanted to archive. I should be able to hook an 8" drive to my PC and may be able to use this software to back up Model II/12/16 disks?

These programs are I believe downloadable from the web. I fortunately have a set of original disks with manuals.

Bill:
Reading the 8" model II/12/16 disks are a bit trickier. You need a controller that can access the disks in FM. Most PC controllers can only do MFM.

Get yourself a catweasel.

Kelly (yes, kelly from MARCH)

hey kelly...I was going to talk to you about that...I want to learn more about your experience in this area. I don't know what a catweasel is, I will look this up. I hope to discuss next Sat at InfoAge.

Back