• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PC 5150 Diskette Adapter

I'm just stating what I tested as is. You are free to believe or not, but don't ask me for the results because you're curious,
but directly, IBM PC 5160 main board + FDC (P/N: 1809113) + XT/AT power supply, XT supported keyboard + FDD Buy it and test it out.

To be clear, I am telling the truth about the test results I have.
And since the test devices are not only one, but two, we tested each one under the same conditions to avoid controversy.

The symptom is that it does not boot, and even access to DIR after booting with XT-IDE is not possible.

The same goes for a 5.25" 360KB drive or a 3.5" 720KB drive. There is nothing more I can report.

And FDC (P/N:1809113) has the same symptoms not only on the 5160, but also on the other 5170. It's because of the -5V problem, but I've already tested it with a power supply that supports -5V.

Only two 5150 motherboards worked without problems. The 5150 should work, of course, but...

Well, sorry for being curious, but with all due respect, that's not much of an answer. I'd like to know why and what happens.

I'm not going to spend money researching something on one person's narrative alone, without some sort of an explanation.

Good luck with that!

For reference, to describe the exact symptoms: Once recognized by FDC (P/N: 1809113),

The problem is that after the boot control is transferred to the FDC, it cannot be booted from there. Not only that, but even if you do DIR A: after booting from the hard disk
"Not ready reading drive A:"

However, this does not mean that there is a problem with FDD or Drive Cable. In that state, the 5150 works just fine.

Only these symptoms are repeated. XT 5160 / AT 5170 as well as Pentium motherboards show the same symptoms.
Judging from this, if this FDC is not 5150, I think there is a problem with compatibility.

Thanks for that. The trick will be to probe and figure out the"why". After all, the controller is just a bunch bus interface logic and data separator. The 765 does the heavy lifting. It could be that the hybrid IBM packages matter, but detailed information on those appears to be non-existent.

I would like to apologize to you all. I found the exact cause.

As it turns out, there was a problem with the -5V supply terminal in the AT type power supply, and the ATX power supply had a problem with the -5V voltage not being properly supplied. occurred. It worked fine until a few days ago, but I never thought that all of a sudden these things would happen at the same time.
I'm confused as well, but anyway, P/N: 1809113 corresponds to modem7's statement that -5V should be properly supplied to the ISA slot. confirmed that.

I apologize once again.

Back