• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PC XTRA (XT)manual or motherboard switch settings

JT64

Experienced Member
Ok i know i've asked before, but noone seem to know anything about my PC XTRA (model 4).

It have 1 raised 8-bit isa card with five slots, a 10 mhz processor (8088?), 640+128 KB extended and CGA, 2 serial, 1 parallell on motherboard.

I really need the settings for how to change/turn off the CGA mode, right now i only get monochrome out on the VGA card i put into the XT.

(It is three sockets with swithes a little to much to try out by random i probably should though, but i am afraid something goes wrong)

I really want to get some of the old SIERRA and other VGA games up working.
I've already tried the VGA card in a 486 and there it shows color on same monitor. So i am pretty sure it is the motherboard swithches that are in wrong position.

Is this machine really so unusual, i saw one sold "with manuals" on E-bay but can not find anything related to it on the net.

JT

I think when installing a VGA card into a PC or XT you need
to set the MB switches to 'no display'.

Maybe you can contact the person who bought the system from eBay
and get the info from the manual.

I only have two clone XT MB's, and both use the same switch settings
as the IBM PC/XT. Switches 5 and 6 are for the display type.

Last edited:
Not an answer but have you thought about asking the seller of that system if he could pass your contact info on to the buyer and you could ask them about their manual? Maybe they'd be interested enough to scan it for folks.

Here is some mediocre pictures of the board and switches if anyone recognize the board layout and switches hola me. The damn thing built like a tank. I was thinking taking pictures with only motherboard put the cage stop me it is built like a cage.

Please take a look at the pictures and see if you have a hint of with switch block could be the CGA on off. It could even be a jumper on the board i am really lost here(there is some jumpers too).

JT

http://cid-b818a757899dc189.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Nytt album?uc=3&nl=1

Nytt%20album

Pitney Bowes motherboard

Pitney Bowes motherboard

Anyone who have a 8088 pitney bowes motherboard or manual, if i understand it should be the same motherboard as ITT XTRA.

JT

No nothing like that, isn't that a 80286 board with 16-bit vertical isa-slots?

My only have one vertical raised slot with 4 horisontal eight bit isa.

The three switchblocks isn't there either, i can not see any onboard serial or parallell ports nor CGA on that mobo.

I am pretty sure it is an 8086 or 8088 in my at least that is was MSD says hehe, well i think it is an 8088 after read an article from old atari magasine.

But you had me looking at Stason again for 8088. and suddenly it struck me how similar design the ACER 710 is. First board what is the chances. And now i see that the jumper in front i was afraid to move, (i imagined my bios could be flashed or something). It only lacks a serial but all three switch blocks is there and the jumper in front. And also the switch for CGA/monochrome.

I think i will disable that CGA tonight by moving that jumper(hope i do not flash/reset bios or something ;D.

But if anyone have a ITT XTRA the ACER seem very similar "on surface".

*GOT IT WORKING* seems to be similar motherboard ACER 710

JT

Last edited:
Well i confirmed it is an 8088 and in looks very much like the ACER 710 mobo i think all jumpers switch the same. Although i have two serial ports.

The VGA is a jumper in front of the switch blocks, now it works with a Paradise (clone?)
JT

I have a like new copy of: ITT XTRA Personal Computer User Guide if it would be of any help. Appendix A: System Specifications; Appendix B: DIP Switch Settings; Appendix C: IBM Compatibility Issues; Appendix D: RS-232 Display Interfacing Instructions; Appendix E: Unpacking/Repacking

5 1/4" software disks included:

ITT XTRA Personal Computer - SYSTEM - ITT DOS 2.11 (U.S. English) v. 2.00, copyright Microsoft Corporation, 1983, Itt Corporation 1984; ITT Asycom v. 1.00, copyright ITT Corporation, 1984 Part No. 40072-015

ITT XTRA Personal Computer - UTILITIES - ITT UTILITIES (U.S. English) v. 1.00, copyright ITT Corporation 1985, Thesys MPC, 1985 Part No. 400509-001

You can have the manual and diskettes if you want to pay to have it shipped from Seattle, Washington, USA.

Back