• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PD32 NS32016 computer

I am thinking to re-implement the design "AS IS" per the 1986 article. It was advertised to run official Unix System V although I think it could realistically run Minix. The Bruce Culbertson NS32016 board had a Minix port for it and it was a very similar design so I think it would be a good starting point. Only 2MB of DRAM really limits the options though.

Here are some photos and related files http://ftp.berklix.org/~dlr/pd32/

Who is interested in building a "Public Domain 32000" ISA board if it were produced in small hobbyist quantities?

I would be interested... I just recently got a P3 board with ISA slots...

Hi
Thanks to Dave Rand (one of the original authors) I have recreated the PD32 in KiCAD. There is a schematic and PCB layout. If you are interested in a PD32 revival let me know. If we can get 4-5 people to build the board then I can order prototype boards. They are full size PC/XT (12"x4") PCBs.

I just built an ISA machine (again) and sure, I'd love some more vintage for my vintage!

Hi

I built the PD32 in KiCAD and it is basically ready to go. The PCB is done and trace routed and ready for ordering prototype PCBs.

However Dave Rand is designing a new PD32+ based on NS32032 and modern components which made the vintage 1986 design OBE.

Most likely this project will join the ranks of the walking dead.

View attachment 40774

Hi

I built the PD32 in KiCAD and it is basically ready to go. The PCB is done and trace routed and ready for ordering prototype PCBs.

However Dave Rand is designing a new PD32+ based on NS32032 and modern components which made the vintage 1986 design OBE.

Most likely this project will join the ranks of the walking dead.

View attachment 40774

I was hoping it didn't just go and die... Although even in this day and age ISA machines are getting rare, even 32bit 3.3v PCI is getting harder to find.

I was hoping it didn't just go and die... Although even in this day and age ISA machines are getting rare, even 32bit 3.3v PCI is getting harder to find.

No, it didn't die but it did join the stable of walking dead projects. This project is essentially done and ready to go to PCBs prototype or production.

However Dave Rand is working on the PD32+ which makes this board OBE. I helped Dave with PD32+ for a while and got it going in the right direction but Dave kind of went off on his own way and I really couldn't help much any more. We kept in contact for a while but I haven't heard from Dave recently so I am not sure if PD32+ is going to happen or not.

If PD32+ doesn't happen for whatever reason, we can always revive PD32 or even pull the Bruce Culbertson project. Both are essentially complete and just waiting to be built but became OBE for one reason or another.

I think, FPGA version is faster and more easy to run. This board
http://cpu-ns32k.net/PC632M.html
may be modifyed with 3.3/5V level shifter to attach DE0-nano to ISA bus.

ns32k architecture may be used as a good "core" for "amateur" SoCs. There is a
working GNU toolchain. AFAIK, the legal status is "abandonware" and NS
permitted to use this architecture to Udo Moeller for M32632 project.

Yes, I know, there are another 32-bit CPU implementations for FPGA,
but to have yet another architecture is not so bad.

I heard back from Dave Rand and he is planning to make some PD32+ prototype boards. Looking forward to those and hopefully a NS32K revival.

This is an interesting thread and the 1987 PC Magazine article was an interesting read. I hadn't found that one yet. I've had one of the DSI-780's for 15+ years and in the past could find almost nothing about it. I believe I picked it up out of a parts box one day...I thought it interesting that it was an ISA board with serial ports and the Motorola 68k series chips on it.

Jeff

Andrew,

I just bought a batch of NS32K CPU and peripherals.

I'm interested in your PD32 and the PD32+

Do you have any news from Dave Rand and the PD32+ prototype?

Thanks,
Marc

Andrew,

Thanks,
Marc

Hi
You can have my PD32 KiCAD file set if you want to make your own PD32 board(s). They are ready to go to prototype board production. I am not making any more PCB projects or getting boards. I'll check with Dave on the status of his PD32+ KiCAD project files.

Andrew Lynch

Andrew,

Thanks,
Marc

Marc,
Could you tell me the sources of your NS32K CPU & peripherals?

I have a batch of NS32008 that I've collected over the years. Recently I bought a batch of NS32202 from Quest Components cheaply. Anchor Electronics has NS32016 at reasonable price but their NS32201 is $20! I'm looking for a few NS32201 at a more reasonable price as well as some NS32081.
Bill

Hi,
I didn't noticed that you are located at France. The shipping cost from Europe is too high to consider buying small quantity from there. The 32201 is probably simple enough to emulate with logics. I may just get one 32081 somewhere to check out the design.

[RFC] NS32016 CPU board

[RFC] NS32016 CPU board

Hi,

I'm currently working on a mini SBC with a NS32016 CPU. I just finished the schematic.

Comments welcome!

Does anyone know a working simulator for the NS32K?

Jeff

NS32016.jpg

Back