• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PDP 11/45, Part 4

Hi All;

Thank You Don for You valuable insight..

I have now TWO Serial Cards Working,, I found the problem on the Second Board..
The Baud Rate Selection Switches were Not making contact, a little deoxit and we now have a working board..
Next is to change it to TU58 Mode, and see if it still works..

I have rerun Don's ZZ program with Both Serial cards in the Machine, one set up for Console and one set up for TU58 mode..
At present I don't have a working USB to Serial cable, So the TU58 is on hold, and anyway, I want to run some more tests before that..
I need to figure out again How to Load the files and Run them while in Console mode.. And even this time write up some notes..
Or maybe Look at my Old Postings for some clues..

As Near as I can TELL I have a Full 256K (128K) in the Machine, and it is Passing Don's ZZ Program, and has made 500+ passes..

I am almost Afraid to Plug it in, for in the Past, it seemed like Every time I got it going, Something would happen..
And it would be back to Non-working mode..

THANK YOU Marty

Last edited:
As Near as I can TELL I have a Full 256K (128K) in the Machine, and it is Passing Don's ZZ Program, and has made 500+ passes..

The ZZ M9312 boot prom runs the basic CPU tests in the M9312 console prom continuously (very simplistic CPU test sequence) and
does a write/read/compare of the low 28KW of CPU memory (ie, what needs to be working to boot a system). It does not check
any memory above the 28KW boundary (which would require memory management to be setup).

Don

Reference listings:
ZZ prom: http://ak6dn.dyndns.org/PDP-11/M9312/23-ZZZA9/23-ZZZA9.lst
Console prom: http://ak6dn.dyndns.org/PDP-11/M9312/23-248F1/23-248F1.lst

Hi All;

Thank You, Don for Setting me straight..

I could Hope that it would or could do more..

I am able to access memory from the Front Panel all the way up, or so it seems..

Anyway, until I can find a program that will Test All of memory, I won't know for sure.. That I can Load from my Console like Paper Tape..

I have Loaded some programs, I need to find more that I can Load and Run on this machine..

THANK YOU Marty

Last edited:
Hi All;

Here are some pictures of La Machine..

001.jpg 002.jpg 004.jpg

I have a couple of things to do Today, One I have already done, which is Spray the whole MotherBoard with Deoxit..
I have also removed all the Boards and the Power Connectors, and found which Connectors go to which Slots on the Motherboard.. And Documented this in my Notebook..

Next I am going to add a Second IBM type PC Power supply, and try Balancing what I have in Boards/slots and Front Panel so that each Power Supply is doing about half of the Boards, Hopefully this will lesson the Load to each Supply.. Along with the 4 slot UniBuss MotherBoard and in the Future maybe a Second one If I can find a second Good 4 slotter in good condition.

I looked at what I had in my power supply collection, and I looked at my wiring for the UniBuss slot and Rewired it to the Power Supply.. I am going to try this and see if things work any better or If I truly need to have a Second +5 volt Power Supply..
I am also going to See what it would take to Measure the Amperage on each Card, but not right now..

I have been running Various Test throughout the day, and it has been working fine, as Far as I can tell..

I would Like to get/find some PDP 11/45 Logic Tests, that I can Load from the Console / like with Paper Tape..

But, right Now I would Like to Run SOLO from Brinch Hansen, But what is available is either in Tape drive or disk drive formats, not Paper Tape.. And it was written on and for a PDP 11/45..

THANK YOU Marty

Last edited:
Hi All;

How do I get Simh to make/compile for Simulating a PDP 11 ??

I have looked at the Simh documentation, and I cannot make Heads or Tails of it..

I have Cygwin running under Windows..

I have tried "make PDP 11", but that doesn't work..

THANK YOU Marty

Hi All;

How do I get Simh to make/compile for Simulating a PDP 11 ??

I have looked at the Simh documentation, and I cannot make Heads or Tails of it..

I have Cygwin running under Windows..

I have tried "make PDP 11", but that doesn't work..

THANK YOU Marty

Make sure you have GCC installed in your CYGWIN, along with make. Assuming you have already done this.

Pull the .zip file simh-master.zip from github. Assuming you have already done this, too.

Unzip and cd into the simh-master directory. Assume you are doing this too.

then try: make pdp11 for the pdp11 simulator, make pdp8 for the pdp8 simulator

You should get either pdp11.exe (or pdp8.exe) in the bin/ directory under simh-master/.

Unless you had followed the instructions to get the CYGWIN PCAP libraries, the pdp11 simulator won't support etherNet,
but that is probably OK for you to do just simple pdp11 simulations. pdp8 doesn't support networking, so the PCAP
libraries don't matter for the pdp8 simulator.

Don

Hi All;

Thank You Don for the information..

It creates a pdp11.exe file..
But, I am not sure it is totally correct..
Also, I am missing an .ini file for the PDP 11/45 where can I get this or information on how to create it ??

THANK YOU Marty

You don't really need one. Just do "set cpu 11/45" at the prompt. Then you do "set 256k" to set the amount of memory you like to have. Then maybe "set rq disable" to disable the UDA controller (could be a good practice to disable all the devices you don't want to have around). To load a disk image you do for example "attach rl0 xxdp.dsk"

If you then get tired of doing this every time you put all the commands in the an .ini file.

Hi All;

Thank You MattisLind for Your help..

But, I still Don't think something is correct..
When I look at this video..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn63gb1-NII
What He has and what I have don't match..
Here is a screen shot--

Marty@Marty-PC /simh-master/bin
$ dir
pdp11.exe

$ run pdp11
set cpu 11/45
"set 256k
set 256k
set rq disable
attach rl0 xxdp.dsk

THANK YOU Marty

Last edited:
Marty,

These are the steps I boot RT11SJ v5.3 from a simulated RD54. You need to download the disk image I have prepared: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/96935524/rt11v53.dsk.gz.

Code:
Arbetsrumsdatorn-2:BIN mattis_lind$ ./pdp11

PDP-11 simulator V4.0-0 Beta        git commit id: a747c0f8
sim> set cpu 11/45
Disabling XQ
sim> set 256k
sim> attach rq0 ./rt11v53.dsk 
sim> b rq0

RT-11SJ  V05.03  

I have some other disk-images as well you can try:

XXDP+ simulated RD51
XXDP v2.2 simulated RD51
XXDP v2.5 simulated RD51
RSX-11M v4.6 RD54

Hi All;

MattisLind, Thank You for Your Reply..

BUT, Did You Notice that
Mine Never says "" sim> ""

And that seems to be or is the Problem..

THANK YOU Marty

No, I didn't notice that until you mentioned it. I have never ran SimH on anything else than Unix systems (MacOS on a hackintosh and Linux) so I cannot tell how it works in Windows/Cygwin. But indeed, there seems to be a problem when you are not getting a prompt.

Have you compiled it yourself or did you download the pre-compiled executable?

Hi All;

MattisLind, thank You for Your answer..

"" Have you compiled it yourself or did you download the pre-compiled executable? ""

The precompiled Simh-master.zip file..
Also Windows-build and
Windows-build-Windows-build..

Even for me Linux and associated types are the WORST thing for me to Work with or on..
I have tried to use them in the Past and they like now have been nothing but trouble..
Mostly because nothing is explained, especially by the developers of a program and what is needed or how to do something to make it run or work..
It is assumed that we know as much as the developers do..
End of my Rant..

I got it to run, possibly two things..
first is doing this

Just install the WinPcap driver (from http://www.winpcap.org ) into
Windows and grab the WinPcap Developers Pack zip file and put the lib
and include files into the Cygwin /usr/local/lib/ and
/usr/local/include/ directories.

And second, instead of typing Run pdp11, I needed to type ./pdp11
and then it came up correctly..
I wasn't told to type the ./pdp11 instead of run pdp11..

Here is a screen shot, it doesn't like the Disabling XQ command, though..

$ ./pdp11

PDP-11 simulator V4.0-0 Beta git commit id: 6210ba20
sim> set cpu 11/45
Disabling XQ
sim> set 256k
sim> b rq0Disabling XQ
sim> Unknown command
sim> Unknown command
sim> Unknown command
sim> Disabling XQ
Unknown command
RQ0: creating new file
sim> b rq0

HALT instruction, PC: 000002 (HALT)
sim>

I got XXDP to come up.. now to figure out How to get these thing to work and compile, so I can transfer them to my real PDP 11/45..

THANK YOU Marty

Last edited:
Why are you getting all those "Unknown command"?

I never get those. Are you typing in the commands or are you using some kind of ini-file? Type them in!

Then apparently the path to the image is not correct since it is says: "creating new file". You need to check that you have the correct path to the file. If you try booting an empty disk this is exactly what happens.

"Disabling XQ" is what SimH reports back when I do "set cpu 11/45".

Hi All;

MattisLind, Thank You for Your Concern..

"" Why are you getting all those "Unknown command"?

I never get those. Are you typing in the commands or are you using some kind of ini-file? Type them in!

Then apparently the path to the image is not correct since it is says: "creating new file". You need to check that you have the correct path to the file. If you try booting an empty disk this is exactly what happens.

"Disabling XQ" is what SimH reports back when I do "set cpu 11/45". ""

The main Answer to the above questions is/was I didn't know what I was doing, and so I copied what You had in Your Screen shot to my Simh and since part of it was in response and not an entry.. It didn't like what I was feeding it..

When I entered the commands one at a time things were better..

So, there is/was no problem..

On a side not I tried to Boot Solo and got an I/O Error.. I am going to try and figure out what Disks and tape are available, and see if it will work on something.. There is both a Tape and Disk file.. Once I know what Tape machines would most likely work, I will try that route..
It doesn't look like the Tape file is Bootable..
If not, I need to find out How to Load the PAL assembler and feed it the various Test files..

THANK YOU Marty

Last edited:
At the SIMH prompt the commands:

help show

and then:

show feature
show config
show device
show mod

will get you a lot of useful information.

Don

PS if you set the CPU to a UNIBUS (ie, 11/45) versus a QBUS (ie, 11/73, the default) type the XQ device will be disabled since it is the QBUS etherNet controller that is not applicable to a UNIBUS system, and it is enabled by default in network-enabled SIMH.

In reality it probably should not be by default enabled, but that is a question for another person at another time.

Last edited:
Hi All;

Don, Thank You for Your Help and suggestions..

"" if you set the CPU to a UNIBUS (ie, 11/45) ""

That is what I would use it for almost always..

I need to find the PAL sources, so I can run it on Simh..

I have about half of them from Bitsavers, But, it look like I am missing a bunch of them, from the Directions in "" Paper Tape Software Handbook ""..
But, I could be Mis-reading things, it wouldn't be a first time..

THANK YOU Marty

Hi All;

Thank You M-Thompson, for the link and the information..

When I get back into PDP 8 mode I will try these out..

On a side note, I found where I had asked about Pal-11 program before, and so I have copied it to where I Need it, to Run under Simh..

Here is the Link to it, that I found..

http://iamvirtual.ca/PDP-11/PTS-11/PTS-11.htm

THANK YOU Marty

Last edited:
Back