• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PDP-11 Value?

matthew180

Experienced Member
I have been looking for a PDP-11 for a while and I might have a chance to get one. Aside from the desire to get my hands on real hardware, I'm finding it hard to figure out a *fair* price for a CPU or other components like disk drives or tape units.

Sometimes I see prices in the multiple thousands, and other times I see people getting them for free (like in May the PDP-11 that was rescued in SoCal). That is kind of a drastic range, and makes me wonder if waiting for someone to be ready to dump a unit is the best option. The price I am faced with currently is looking like it might be beyond my means, but I have no idea if it is a good deal either. It is really hard to swallow paying a few thousand for a system when you see someone get one for the cost of driving to pick it up.

This really depends.

A blinken Lights PDP like /45, /40, ... has a bigger value as a /24,/34/...

A short overview what I have paid for my systems:

PDP-11/34 empty except needed boards a min Mem but in working condition >>> 350 Euro + 350km drive in 2015
PDP-11/84 Max Mem, some low value boards two power Supplies but unknown state >>> 100 Euro + 60km drive in 2018
PDP-11/24 Raster Grafic boards, AD Boards, 2x RL02, 1x RX02 in unknown condition >>> 500 Euro + 1500km drive in 2017
PDP-11/44 + /25 +/ 84 + VT100+ RC25 dual + TS05 + spare boards and some small Parts, all in unknown condition >>> 1500 Euro + 1600km drive in 2017
and some other I have not in my brain.....

I hope it helps.

By the way, I have needed 3 Years to find working RT-11 8Inch distribution-set, still checking ebay and all the other marketplaces frequently for parts I need, so think hard, if you really would like to start with this expensive, time and space consuming hobby.

Someone on the cctalk email list just yesterday was looking to sell three PDP-11/34 systems in the LA area. Not much detail posted, but sounded like fairly complete systems. A value of $2000 was mentioned as a possible starting point for the entire lot, which of course would have to be negotiated with the seller.

Probably not too many people who would want to put that much money into that much hardware if they were just starting in the PDP-11 world, but if you looked at that cost per each of the three systems that might be a decent deal, depending on exactly what all is included and the condition of the systems. If I was somewhat local I might be interested myself, but not interested enough for a long road trip or to pay for freight shipping (plus don't have the room either).

@User78, thanks for being up front with your costs. So I wonder what you think when you see a PDP-11 being picked up for no cost? I understand the part about it being hard to find software and media, and it gives me a lot of pause for pulling the trigger on this.

So it was actually the post for the PDP-11/34 systems that prompted me asking. Two examples in SoCal of PDP-11 systems, one was free, the other is several thousand dollars. How do you even start to establish a fair value? I also saw a PDP-11/35 front-panel and board-set go for $3500 at the VCF West consignment a few weeks ago. Crazy IMO.

What about systems that have been sitting for years (or decades) in storage units? Systems might have even worked when put in storage, but now heat/cool cycles and time mean you are looking at a pretty hefty restoration. Do that matter with these systems?

So, blinken-light panels are an important aspect to value?

@User78, thanks for being up front with your costs. So I wonder what you think when you see a PDP-11 being picked up for no cost? I understand the part about it being hard to find software and media, and it gives me a lot of pause for pulling the trigger on this.

So it was actually the post for the PDP-11/34 systems that prompted me asking. Two examples in SoCal of PDP-11 systems, one was free, the other is several thousand dollars. How do you even start to establish a fair value? I also saw a PDP-11/35 front-panel and board-set go for $3500 at the VCF West consignment a few weeks ago. Crazy IMO.

What about systems that have been sitting for years (or decades) in storage units? Systems might have even worked when put in storage, but now heat/cool cycles and time mean you are looking at a pretty hefty restoration. Do that matter with these systems?

So, blinken-light panels are an important aspect to value?

I have mostly paid for the stuff I would like to have, but some time not much. For instance I have got a VAXstation 96, 3100/80, 3100/76 SPX ... and much Software for 100 Euro, which was not much also if I had to drive 400km.
But in general it is not a problem for me, to see that there is for instance a 11/45 (I hope sometimes to have one) for free when I have paid for my one 2.000 Euro. There is no market but many people and companies spend much money, so if you have no luck to get one for free or a small amount of money you need to pay some bucks you have in your wallet.

May experience is that systems which were stored decades in a storage (german version, dry, and temperature between 10°C and 25°C) are mostly in an perfect condition. I have also bought some systems which were flooded, but not for much, all are working again, mostly they lock not like new and the plastic is a bit rusty, but they are alive again and usable.

2.000$ for the three /34 is a good price if they were stored in an acceptable humidity and temperature range and it will also give you a good starting point where you have near all what you need to jump into this hobby.

Blinken lights are an expensive topic. I pay usually, but I'm not willing to spend this amount of bucks.....

By the way, I pick up an VAX 11/785 in the next weeks. Nothing to pay, but I swap a BA23 based system and have to pay about 300Euro for the transporter.

Last edited:
In this case, storage would be in SoCal, which means about 10c (50f) in the winter to around 46c (115f) in the summer (it has been *hot* for the last 5 or 6 years). Dry though, for the most part.

Thanks for the feedback, it definitely helps me consider things.

If you want it right now, you're going to pay. You might stumble across a real deal every so often, where someone would rather sell at a lowish price to a fellow hobbyist than deal with eBay or see it go to someone who won't use it. A machine showing up for free is usually a, "I need it gone yesterday" kind of thing and not that common.

Expect to pay $500 - $1000 for a turnkey machine (no front panel) that's at least minimally functional and has a few options. You can probably still find empty QBus boxes for $100 - $150, maybe less if they're not working. If it's your first PDP-11, I'd highly recommend getting a cheaper, easier-to-get-going QBus machine first, and if you really enjoy it, then think about getting a bigger machine with a front panel (if you're even interested in a front panel machine). QBus is a lot less headache to get started with, and you can do all of the typical PDP-11 stuff on it.

Peripherals can often be more expensive than the system unit, especially if you have to ship them, too!

Back