• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Pertec-interface tape controller.

Development at least for the initial phase is almost done and I'll post the sources on github. The board piggybacks an inexpensive MCU dev board and looks like the first photo here. The first version of the PCB needed only minor "bodge" wires; the respin appears to work perfectly.
I've got mine in a nice box that will be tucked away in back of one of my tape drives. It looks like the second photo.
I've attached a sample log of dealing with a tape having 4 files. After reading the whole thing, I show how to read each file individually.
Hooked to a Fujitsu M2444AC drive, the controller can read a 6250 GCR tape at the full 75 ips. Writing takes about the same amount of time. Read errors are flagged in the .tap file.

Although I connected the STM32F4VE devboard using wire-wrap (easy to modify), I'll be replacing the wires with Dupont-terminated cables.

I want to compliment Mattis Lind for his fine job of PCB layout. The gerbers went to PCBway without a hitch.

Attachments

• pertec_assem.jpg
    pertec_assem.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
  • boxtop.jpg
    boxtop.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 24
  • Sample_log_21Dec22.pdf
    43.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Okay, initial commit to github done for the prototype. It's a lot to digest, but I'd be interested in opinions. I'm using an old yahoo email address for the owner, as I don't know if a github project results in a lot of spam.

What the finished product looks like--USB, power and interface cables all exit from one side. My old P3 ISA board was getting cranky, as was the tape controller. Now I have something whose innards aren't a mystery.

Attachments

• PertecBox.jpg
    PertecBox.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
Hi there,

I'm new here, and I'm interested in your project for the following reaseon.
We have a working Kennedy 9000 + 9219 and we'd like to control it using modern hardware. We would mostly like to read some old tapes, but write would be neat too.
One option we have is to purchase an ISA Pertec controller card from new old stock, and put it into a not-too-recent PC running DOS.
But it would be more practical to use more modern hardware.

If I understood correctly, your project is about controlling a pertec compatible tape drive with the SIMH emulator ?
Hey @faxm0dem,

If you're ever looking to get rid of your Kennedy 9000 and especially the 9219 formatter, let me know -- I've also got a Kennedy 9000 that's missing the formatter (9219) and have been searching for one.

Thanks!

-Chris

Thanks for your work in making this. I just got a Qualstar 1260, so I'll be building this board in the coming months. Also thank you for providing so much documentation with the project as well.
I'll respond to the thread with my results once I get around to building it.

When you do, contact me for a firmware update--I haven't updated the github site in quite awhile and there are some worthwhile changes that I've made.

I made the unit through-hole construction rather than surface-mount to attract more folks--although I have no idea how many pertec-interface drives are out there looking for a controller. ;)

The boards and components have been ordered.
I still cant send a PM since I haven't hit 10 posts yet. Could you PM me? Unless you had another way you wanted me to get in contact with you.

If anyone else wants a board, let me know and I can send you one, just cover the cost of shipping.

Back