• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PET with strange keyboard

adko

Hi, I'm new to this nice forum and have PET 2001 with strange keyboard
I hope there is a description of this rare keyboard somewhere
Some of the white sleeves on my keyboard are also torn, can these be replaced and bought somewhere?
It seems that the copper tongues are soldered to the circuit board, and that the plate cannot be loosened that way
I'm going to clean everything well and hope to receive more information from someone, or a description
So that I can make this beautiful PET fully working again, because it is already starting up, now the keyboard
Thank you very much, also for using this wonderful forum
Greetings Ad
PET on1.jpg
IMG_65481.jpg
IMG_65561.jpg
IMG_65541.jpg
IMG_65531.jpg

Hallo Ad,

I have some spare keyboards. Contact me using my site. I live in Heerlen.

Welcome! Beautiful Pet, this is first Time that i see this keys mechanism!

Welcome.

There was another thread recently where this exact same keyboard was found... They managed to resurrect the keyboard if I remember correctly.

Dave

Besides the fact that the 2001-32B is a fairly rare variant of the PET ...
I've never seen a PET keyboard with switches like that. B or N type.
Do you know what year your PET was made? What's the latest date code on the chips?

FWIW, these type of key switches were common back in the day. The TRS-80 Model 1 and the DEC VT100 family both have the same type of key switches.
I have always been able to use tweezers to bend the leaf contacts back into shape but I've never had any of the sleeves "tear" on me yet.

I'll bet you can de-solder the contacts from the back side of the PCB to take them apart.
You might then be better able to glue them or replace them with a 3D printed part.

It might also be worth a visit to the TRS-80 and DEC forums to see if anyone there can offer some guidance on repairing these.
VT100 keyboards are always in short supply so I'm sure there are many experienced in repairing them.

@adko
Google "Hi-tek key switch repair"
There are several good videos and articles on repairing these type of "cracked" Hi-Tek switches

Just out of interest, has your PET display got a flashing cursor displayed after the 'ready.'?

If not, this could indicate something still not correct with the PET logic - and this will cause the keyboard not to work.

It may be that your photograph missed the flashing cursor being ON.

Dave

@adko
Google "Hi-tek key switch repair"
There are several good videos and articles on repairing these type of "cracked" Hi-Tek switches
Thank you Hutch, now I know what they call the keyboard and I can watch the videos
thanks again for the good information
Greetings Ad

Just out of interest, has your PET display got a flashing cursor displayed after the 'ready.'?

If not, this could indicate something still not correct with the PET logic - and this will cause the keyboard not to work.

It may be that your photograph missed the flashing cursor being ON.

Dave
Halo Daver2, the cursor works and 1 key also works and the cursor moves forward
So I think this is good, but good to know that this could also be the problem
Thank you for your information, greetings Ad

If you get the cursor flashing that is good. It was just that I couldn't see it on the photograph - so I wanted to bring that to your attention.

Dave

I was able to get a same keyboard from a user of this site
Now my PET is completely finished and runs like new
I now use a Tapuino to load all programs and it works well
IMG_668211.jpg

Back