• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Photos of one of the 3 PDP8e I dragged out of the Dump Skip in Center of Melbourne

inotarobot

Veteran Member
As part of my tidying up and downsizing I was in my 40ft semtrailer a few days back and took the following photos
They are of one of the 3 PDP8e (for now I will call one in photo here number 2) that I dragged out of the Dump Skip in Center of Melbourne. The broken front panel photos shown in another post here are from machine I will call number 3.
Machine number 1 is at the bottom of the 19" rack that has my main 8e system (see photo below I just added)

Just at the moment I cannot see any other parts of Machine number 3 except the front panel and the 2 backplane PCB's so I have to assume I dismantled it.
Maybe I disposed of the metal chassis but it could still be tucked away in semi.
I have not sold any of the cards so they will be in a box in semi.

FYI I have NOT powered up any of these machine.

So whats going to happen to them. Well along with my complete 8e machine with drives and tape reader/punch (just visible in following photo and below the 8e you can just see top of the 1st one of the 8é from dump bin at bottom of that rack), I will have 4 8e's.

0udUuD6.jpg

My current thinking is to make sure my Primary Machine is fully operational and '"{fully} optioned" by adding PCB(s) from first Machine 3 and then maybe a board or two from Machines 1 & 2; plus making sure that I have a few spares for it.

After that maybe spend a few days "going over" (read carefully testing as per the norm) the 2 of the 3 still together 8e's and depending on consensus for you DEC foke here power them up before selling them on to those whom have expressed interest..

As to number 3 machine (one with broken front panel) my thoughts are one of 2

1. part it out keeping what I need as spares for my machine
or
2 less likely if I find the main metal chassis, is to offer it for sale as is with the broken front panel ( that will have at least 3 of the toggles removed to repair machines 1 and 2's front panels.

so here following are photos of machine 2 ( still in semi)

Vl2HFbo.jpg

ZMMV3gN.jpg

zDAmu3V.jpg

9SLuULW.jpg

0k8tzMD.jpg

q60mgCu.jpg

0Pe3gBZ.jpg

\
moch8gr.jpg

Last edited:
You lucky bastard!!

I've dreamt of stumbling across something like that, but always thought that the chances of it were absolutely zero.

And here it actually happened, and in the town where I live!

You lucky bastard!!

I've dreamt of stumbling across something like that, but always thought that the chances of it were absolutely zero.

And here it actually happened, and in the town where I live!

You know what some times its simply LUCK.. other times as the Great One said 'have sticky nose and poke it in every Crevice, Nook and Cranny on and below the Earths Surface.

So maybe my number 3 machine might end up your way?

PM me and lets chat

regards
David

I think I'm moving to Australia!!!

you know what apart from Covid-19 extended Lockdowns and our very first Large Earthquake yesterday M5.9 Australia is quite a good place to live.

Your welcome here..

I was doing some thinking while posting this early (7am) today about where and whom owned these 8e's and it struck me..(no not the cat with it claws needing breakfast hitting me in face.. that was at 6.15am today)

That I believe it was a Victorian Government Department in Queens St I recall correctly; as I also I got from the dump bin, some A2 or A1 size maps in heavy cardboard covers that showed the Fire Plans info on Building in the City of Melbourne.

Edited: While making a cup of tea just now I was thinking, Skip was on West side of Queens St, and likely between Bourke and Lonsdale st, possibly even in the 1/2 block Bourke and Lt Bourke. Was a long while back (15+ years ago) so my memory is hazy.

I still have those and will try and get to one of them ( their stored on top of 8e cabinet) and see a date and maybe a department name.

Last edited:
If you decide to sell the broken front panel, I'm interested to either repair my it or use the chips to repair my front panel.

If you start selling boards, I have a small list of boards that i need to flesh out my system, please contact me directly if and when you are ready for that.

I can't afford the shipping from Australia for any equipment.

Mike
bitwiz@12bitsbest.com

Is the thing retrievable or is it in the "life's work" category? Good luck and hope it works out for you.

Is the thing retrievable or is it in the "life's work" category? Good luck and hope it works out fr you.

Hi there.. which "thing" are you referring to please? Do you mean what I call 8e No3 with broken front panel or the either of the other 2 8e's ?

I would say both 8e ONE and TWO as I am calling them are well retrievable. They don''t appear to have suffered any damage other than 1 or 2 missing toggle paddles on front. Luckly No1 & 2 were near top of bin, sitting on and into No3; so I feel at least two of the three will be got operational with not a huge investment in time, especially for someone that has has DEC gear already

Hi there.. which "thing" are you referring to please? Do you mean what I call 8e No3 with broken front panel or the either of the other 2 8e's ?

I would say both 8e ONE and TWO as I am calling them are well retrievable. They don''t appear to have suffered any damage other than 1 or 2 missing toggle paddles on front. Luckly No1 & 2 were near top of bin, sitting on and into No3; so I feel at least two of the three will be got operational with not a huge investment in time, especially for someone that has has DEC gear already

I was reffering to what you siphoned out of the dumpster. Looks like you've got a plan.

Back