• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

piano roll / midi editors for windows 9x?

EverythingIBM

Experienced Member
Anyone know of some good midi editors w/ piano rolls for windows 9x?
Wanted to see if I could start using the old comps for some tracking.

Cakewalk Pro Audio 4.5 is pretty good, although it uses those irritating old Win3.1-style file-selector dialogs. WinJammer Shareware is less nice, but you can easily find both the shareware download and registration info for it online.

Piano roll = a virtual piano to play on?

I (well ok at the time my parents) bought Cakewalk something like 4.x when we were on Windows 3.11. It was ok but a large learning curve and I didn't like it that much to the simpler Voyetra something or other product. I'm having trouble remembering any free products though that would do that. Most were payware. Alternatively lots of great trackers were out for free but then it was up to you to record your samples then record your playing or click away at the track to record your songs in not really piano format but also not too terrible for learning.

"Piano roll" is a particular view that displays notes with the scale arranged vertically, with time in the horizontal dimension, like if you spread out a roll for a player piano.

I use Cakewalk 9 and still haven't moved from it because it has better integration with my equipment (MU-90, SW1000XG, CZ-1000, DX 100, RZ-1, and the SCC-1 which is rarely used) - it's brilliant, you can edit almost any aspect of a MIDI if you know how (including SysEx and event lists) - you can even change instrument definitions and key names (i,e; drum machines, non-gm or extensions like GS/XG) if you learn how to edit an INS file (easy, use notepad) though many common defs are included already as are some basic SysEx messages.

It is what I used to make those songs I posted a while ago.

Edit: If you just want a basic one, you can get an old Anvil Studio (Free software) version from their System Requirements page; http://www.anvilstudio.com/

If you want to mess with Cakewalk 9, I'm not one to condone piracy, but, asking someone that has it might be worth trying ;)

Back