• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Picked up an Omnigo 700LX

TanruNomad

Veteran Member
Here's something you don't see very often... The HP OmniGo 700LX! I've been looking for one of these for some time now and finally got one. Was shocked it was going for less than half the price of an HP 200LX.

Here's some pictures...

dsc03393.jpg

dsc03436j.jpg

dsc03435j.jpg

Last edited:
Wow,I had never seen one of these outside of a "Press Release".You are pretty lucky to have run one down.The nice thing about "Old Tech" is it's cost.Sometimes it's viewed as old "Junk" and we get a "Deal"!
Is it a CE OS?
cgrape2

It runs on DOS 5.0. I know what you mean about it being viewed as "junk". To 99% of the population, it probably is junk, but not I :)

FYI, the nokia 2110 phone still works too!

That's pretty dang awesome. Wow.. I get all gigly thinking about trying to find someone else with one and play a game over serial ;-) (Sopwith?). Does it interface with the phone or is that just some holder? I'll have to read up on that system though I guess it's moot sounding a bit hard to find. Looks very neat. Wireless BBS station, bring it to parties and chat on the vc irc board, etc.

I had the phone-less 200LX in college, and used it for everything from Microsoft Flight Simulator to FORTRAN compiling. I even had Windows 3.0 up and running on it for awhile. There are some amazing program still available for it, including a web browser suite that integrated with the built-in GUI, that can directly use the 700LX's cell connection.

I don't recall exactly how the connection works, other than the LX half does get a data connection. I believe it just appears as a 2400-baud modem that you have to dial in to an ISP with, as opposed to a "direct data" connection like EDGE/3G, etc.

That's pretty dang awesome. Wow.. I get all gigly thinking about trying to find someone else with one and play a game over serial ;-) (Sopwith?). Does it interface with the phone or is that just some holder? I'll have to read up on that system though I guess it's moot sounding a bit hard to find. Looks very neat. Wireless BBS station, bring it to parties and chat on the vc irc board, etc.

Well if you're ever in the San Diego, CA area, stop on over. And yes, in addition to being a charger, the device does interface with the phone. There are 2 pcmcia slots and 1 of them is internal and has a built-in Nokia Data Card which works with the SMS and Fax applications installed in the machines ROM

The State of California used these in a number of different departments, so theoretically there were a lot of them around here. Good to see some avoided getting mulched.

Back