• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Please fix the PM system

I’ve tried it both ways. I still get that I’m not authorized. When it’s checked, I can see a notifications tab that disappears when it’s unchecked. I can also see the title of like my last 5 messages from the messages tab, so I supposed as long and I’m not very popular in the PM around here, and as long as I never want to read my old message to find or remember something, people can still contact me here.

I have a possible fix for folks who are not receiving messages. This may be just a coincidence, but try going to User Settings --> Account, uncheck the 'Use vB messenger' box under 'Private Messenging' and save changes. I did that on a whim and immediately received my first PM (from VERAULT). I responded to it and if Mssr. VERAULT could try this setting change he might receive it. Worth a shot, anyway.

I've since received one additional PM, so something has definitely changed for the better.

I replied to your PM (Which I could read just fine) 4 hours ago. I take it you didn't get my reply? Thats weird considering Im the one who sent you the first message. Let me try the change you mentioned and reply again in a moment.

I have a possible fix for folks who are not receiving messages. This may be just a coincidence, but try going to User Settings --> Account, uncheck the 'Use vB messenger' box under 'Private Messenging' and save changes. I did that on a whim and immediately received my first PM (from VERAULT). I responded to it and if Mssr. VERAULT could try this setting change he might receive it. Worth a shot, anyway.
Holy redundancy, batman.

So, it looks like that hides that chat-like crap that piggybacks on the PM system, and changes the menu at the top so there is only a link to the message center.

It also seems to hide that "start chat" icon next to the user name in posts.

I can't tell by looking at my own post, but I think it changes the "start chat" icon to a "send message" icon for other users who can see the icon.

Very confusing.

BTW, I just noticed that the setting to "show sigs" in my profile was disabled. I know that was always an option, but I had previously had that enabled, and sigs seemed to disappear right at the forum update.

Can one of the moderators or admins try the steps here on my account? Basically it's going to my message center and deleting "flagged reports" which is probably something I'm not supposed to have access too anyway. Makes sense that if there are some of those there, it would give me that message.

https://forum.vbulletin.com/forum/vb...-notifications

Or something similar, but more complicated here that could cause it. I was never a moderator so it probably doesn't apply, but maybe something got weird during the upgrade which corrupted something.

https://forum.vbulletin.com/forum/v...is-page-message-instead-of-pm-navigation-menu

Last edited:
Well, that was a short honeymoon. I am able to PM back and forth with at least two individuals, but a third person with whom I'm working out a purchase is not going so well. After one round, their messages are all appearing with no body text. Honestly, this is a terrible situation.

Well, that was a short honeymoon. I am able to PM back and forth with at least two individuals, but a third person with whom I'm working out a purchase is not going so well. After one round, their messages are all appearing with no body text. Honestly, this is a terrible situation.

are they a new member?

Yeah thats like I mentioned. There is something wrong when an older user talks to a new user. The messages come in with no text. I posted something around the time of the upgrade about a new user spamming me. I didn't realize we both were getting blank responses till he sent me a screenshot.. It was the only way we could communicate. We couldn't send text but we could send files. Seems that problem is still unresolved completely.

I know this isn't realty the place to ask, but since a lot of the older forum members are chiming in on these types of posts I thought I would ask. What happened to KC9UDX? He hasn't posted since early 2020. He was a regular, then vanished. Was he not well?

Can the text input box in the PM window please be fixed? It's like four lines tall and will vertically collapse smaller and smaller if you delete lines and type again, until the point it's a thin sliver where you can barely read one line. There's no way to resize it.

So is there any word on progress addressing ALL the issues of the Forum? From where I am sitting it seems nothing has changed. IF fixes or progress aren't mentioned it seems to me nothing has gotten done. The forum just feels Stagnant these days..

It has been working for me for a few weeks now. It suddenly started working after a flurry of activity.

I still haven't worked out how to do a few things I could do before yet though.

Dave

I vote we nuke it from orbit. Set the whole thing read only. Install a new forum from scratch.

Look at the nihilist over here!! No but seriously it seems that will never happen. Just as Microsoft or Apple will never admit to a bad product.. In the world of Tech, noone ever admits defeat.. Its like they are worried they will "lose face" even though that has already happened..... they just persist. I have no idea why. Sometimes a Clean break is the fastest cleanest approach.

I'm still getting sick and tired of clicking on a link in the new posts search only to wind up on page 1 of 98798769876987, especially when I don't realize there is that much and go down a rabbit hole reading the entire first page. :)

Also, I noticed that tiny blue "fast forward" button next to the link actually disappears if the search thinks you have already read that thread.

Agreed, I am ALWAYS having to enter a post then scroll to the bottom, then hit the last tab. its Completely stupid. And I have yet to see this fast forward button you guys have mentioned.

Well for me from the main page if a forum shows new messages I can click the message name on the right and it will take me to the last post. Or if I am in the forum page there is a little double arrow icon I can click (also on the right side) that also takes me to the last message. The first is only good if there is one new message though.

Agreed, I am ALWAYS having to enter a post then scroll to the bottom, then hit the last tab. its Completely stupid. And I have yet to see this fast forward button you guys have mentioned.

It is not obvious and is so small it is hard to see what it is.

fastforward.png

Back