• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Please fix the PM system

What other forum can I visit that uses this same version of vBulletin? I want to see how they're getting along. By my evaluation, vcfed isn't getting anywhere near the number of posts it received before the changeover.

If vcfed is literally the single test case for this version, the BoD needs to explain their decision.

My biggest concern is that should the reception of this vBulletin version be really bad, the vBulletin project itself is in peril of going defunct. Then what?

All of us agree that the issues with VB5 are extremely annoying. Please believe that it frustrates me, and the other admins and mods, very much, that there have been so many problems.

Remember that we really had no choice but to migrate to something other than the existing VB3.x. There are no more security patches available, and haven't been in quite some time. vBulletin marked v3 as end-of-life back in 2017. We did, and do, have the ability to migrate to a different forum software, but that's a risk, as well.

The upgrade definitely didn't happen with no testing. However, there's no easy way to do actual load testing without either hiring a company to do that, or having a professional volunteer their time. We did indeed test, before going live, and didn't see the PM issues. As you can see, they are definitely present, but they don't seem to hit everyone to the same level, and we are still not sure why.

Discussions are ongoing with regard to what to do to solve the problems permanently. All of us are volunteers, and suggestions or offers of help from anyone who has VB5 knowledge, are always welcome. We had someone volunteer to work on the theme, and I'm not sure the status of that work.

- Alex

I e-mailed Erik about this situation and here's the response I got:

"I'll see what I can do about a post.

We have been looking into the issue and it does appear that it's an issue with the software, not our configuration.

Because of that we don't currently believe that we can do anything about it.

I've tried setting up different environments here and haven't yet reproduced the problem.

I've asked some of the folks who are seeing it what their environments are and, frankly speaking, they show me that the problem isn't environmental... Nobody is using IE 1 on Windows 286. ;)

So I'm stumped.

I've got a couple of geeks trying things (we have a test instance of the forums running) and monitoring the vBulletin support forums, but we're stuck.

I wish I had better news."

Erik - If you're looking maybe it's time to move on to a better platform. Suggestion: Run a contest with inputs as to what works best. Also, as far as expenses go, there are lots of here that would contribute. ;)

I posted a message on Vbulletin's forum and got a very quick and terse response. See image below. I find it hard to believe nobody has contacted vbulletin about our issues, but that's what the reply seems to suggest.
Screenshot 2021-06-09 082721.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2021-06-09 082721.jpg Views:	0 Size:	174.9 KB ID:	1211959

Last edited:
Well, with a response like that I can believe nobody has contacted them. :p

I wonder how much they are getting paid to put those Facebook(R)(TM) and Twitter(R)(TM) logos on every post there? Barf. I smell a sinking ship.

We have indeed been talking to them, but they might well not know who we are. The possible solution to the repeated-edit-spam issue came from there.

- Alex

PM system is definitely broken. I have not received anything since the forum software update, but can attest to the fact that outgoing PMs end up in the bit bucket.

PM problems continue, making the 'for sale' and 'wanted' topics somewhat useless. Haven't received a single incoming PM since the software was updated and none of mine are reaching the intended parties.

Mine still shows I’m not authorized to view this page when I click the “message center” That seems like an obvious permissions problem. I know the mods couldn’t see a problem, but maybe an admin can look at my account to see if I’m missing permissions to my own message page.

Do what I resorted to--open a temporary email account somewhere (I used protonmail.com) and use that address with your post. It's an annoyance, but it's better than nothing.
I fear that before the problems with the software have been resolved, that most of the chickens will have fled the coop, however. :(

I have a possible fix for folks who are not receiving messages. This may be just a coincidence, but try going to User Settings --> Account, uncheck the 'Use vB messenger' box under 'Private Messenging' and save changes. I did that on a whim and immediately received my first PM (from VERAULT). I responded to it and if Mssr. VERAULT could try this setting change he might receive it. Worth a shot, anyway.

I've since received one additional PM, so something has definitely changed for the better.

Back