• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Possible bad IIe power supply?

daveculp

I have a IIe I got on eBay a few months but have not really had time to do much with it. When I turn it on sometimes I get a rythmic and loud "clicking" noise and the power LED on the mother board with pulse in time to the clicking and I get no power. It is sometimes accompanied by a high pitched whine noise. I can sometimes remove a few cards and get the machine to power up.

Bad power supply?

Most likely, yes. Anyway, remove all cards and try it again. Don't leave it like this for more than a second or two since the transient voltages might be out of limits.

Hello there,
When I turn it on sometimes I get a rythmic and loud "clicking" noise and the power LED on the mother board with pulse in time to the clicking and I get no power.
Bad power supply?
In fact, the clicking sound indicates that the PSU is shorted. So it shuts down itself to prevent damage.
It seems one of the cards is the culprit. Just try to add the cards one by one and you'll know which one.

I got a new power supply and dropped it in. Problem solved and the machine runs great.....well, except for a minor video issue I am having. It is coming along!

Back