• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Possible mega haul on craigslist El Paso.

NathanAllan

Veteran Member
http://elpaso.en.craigslist.org/zip/3230878987.html

I'm going to talk to the guy Tuesday, see if I can get a few of the odd machines he is giving away. The pictures tell a huge tale, and I hope he doesn't choose me to get all monitors. Books are nice, but the vintage machines in there might not be complete but they are still rare as hell in these parts. In the pictures, I see a few boxes I'd really like to have, namely some IBM, Apple, Atari and rack mount stuff. Frekin WOW.

Hm. flagged for removal? Seemed legit but they were pretty specific about no picking and just taking all they give you. Curious what those 1000hx/amiga 500 looking systems were in the stack.

The link works for me. I'm waiting on a phone call tomorrow. I think I even know the person!

Okay, it must have been reloading from the cache, because NOW it doesn't load for me (it's been a couple of minutes). I managed to get an email sent before it got removed, and I still have the pictures and will post them.

https://plus.google.com/photos/1106...ms/5781617749062203889?authkey=CI-MgbiB69PraQ

I hope that link works.

body of the text of the ad:

This is free, as is..all this is located at Sunrise Storage by Hercules and Dyer...Just must take anything that i will give you, there is not picking, everythisng as is, i have a lot of stuff and i am giving it Free as is, little by little....since i ha to check that no personal stuff go away...i am only giving computers parts , electronic parts, cables, keyboards, cables, power suplly, old tvs, old vcr and books, ect, ect, i wiil pass it to you, and you must upload as is, everything..no picking... i posted here before, but when i call you, people say they did not know anything about it,,,and some others do not anwers the phone....i will call down the list first one first and down,,i will not hold anything for no one....and you must take all i give you....pleased read, put in the subjet line above "must take all" i don't want to get confuse with the old post..this is a new one...send me your phone number for me to call you, and please be sure the person when anwers the phone that they know you, or i will pass you over..thanks....this stuff is ready to be pick up anytime, i just came from the storage, thanks...name and phone number....fist come down the list ...as is...as is..as is.. Note...Do not ask me to go there to see what i have and then decided, sorry, i can not go back and fort to be showing the items for you to decided if you wanted or not....waht you see in the pictures this is what your will get.....LOOK, LOOK. LOOK ...miras las fotos. esto es lo que estoy dando, si voy a abrir la bodega es porque te lo vas a llevar, no voy a mostrarte lo que hay, a ver si te interesa o no....lo siento...lo que ves es lo que estoy dando, tal y como estan......

Last edited:
I wish I lived in America...

I always wanted to try and find large stores computers,
Not sure where I would start looking, maybe old warehouses used by telecommunications, they probably would have been thrown out by now however,

Nice find anyway!

I wish I lived in America...

I always wanted to try and find large stores computers,
Not sure where I would start looking, maybe old warehouses used by telecommunications, they probably would have been thrown out by now however,

Nice find anyway!

Where are you from? I live in Brazil, and I know what you mean. I think that the key to get vintage computers in places where you can't find a 5160 is this:

1)Be patience, and keep telling people that you like old computers(sometimes you will get ancient televisions or even sewing machines).
2)Accept that you will have to import things, a lot of them. I think that 30$ for a hard drive is ok, but usually forum members think it's too much for a "common" drive like a ST-238R.
3)Don't have money to import what you want? Buy some inexpensive laptop processors, the ones that is needed in your country, and resells.(I bough a lot of Pentium M processors for 5$ each, and resells then for 15$ here, of course there's shipping, but with planning it will work). Prescott Pentium 4 are also very good to me.
4)Keep your intentions clean, say what you need to, and never try to take advantage over people.

With these 4 tips, I'm being a very good respected vintage computer guy in Brazil, last year I didn't have any 8088, now I have 3 (2 is ok, one is a bit dead)

Yeah, the mega haul is rarely close enough to be worth the drive or gas though even if it is in the same country.

Looks like a BUNCH of generic 286 and 386 machines, see a few PS/s in there too. Hope the guy will let you pick a few items out and not have to transfer it to your new storage locker. Although I have doubts about people on selling sites who gripe about people asking to do this and that things that aggravate the seller in the item's description.

Looks like there are some Atari STs, some 5150 series boxes, a 5170 by the look of it. Perhaps a Compaq Deskpro or 2. A PS/2 or two as well. There is a lot that is hard to tell in those pictures.

The easiest thing to do might be to rent a nearby storage bin in the same lot and give the guy a key. As he sorts through his pile, he can put what he doesn't want in you bin and get it out of his way. I would be straight with him and let him know that CRT TVs, printers, and VGA up monitors will most likely get recycled.

He didn't call me back today but I'm hoping there is still time. Right, there looks to be a lot of generic cases, the pictures don't show much of them, but I swear I see some rack mount and Tandy stuff in there, we'll see. I'll definitely be honest and tell him that the CRTs and printers will be recycled and gone through for parts, that none of those will get used (unless there is a wide format printer in there that I can get parts for, then I'll keep it). Plus I'll never know what kinds of cards will be in those generic boxes; I have found all kinds of comm and controller cards, even for a rotating antenna rig (still have it); ISA 8-bit and STILL supported by the manufacturer. Pretty good, that one card.

Tomorrow I'll try to make contact again, I think I know the number of the unit and I've definitely seen that Jeep before. Note in one picture it has a unit number of 155 opposite his unit. I can work with that. So I can leave a note or maybe run into him there tomorrow.

I've got a deal with two other people already: One person will be stripping the CRTs/stereo stuff for copper and another person wants to use the parts from printers for something else (iirc make a 3D printer, not sure). He needs the stepper motors. I want the books! I'll tel him where everything is going, too. Honesty is the best policy here.

Back