• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Possible to do texture mapped pseudo 3D rendering on a 8088 / CGA machine?

Any CGA graphics mode tricks I should be aware of that could improve performance?

It's going to be a matter of the amount of memory to update every frame. So just do what everyone else does: shrink the size of the visible window and surround it with a border (or not). Faster machines get a larger window with reasonable frame rate, slower machines get a smaller window with reasonable frame rate. What would be cool is to be able to programmatically control the screen zoom on the HP 100LX/200LX.

What would be cool is to be able to programmatically control the screen zoom on the HP 100LX/200LX.

True.. but AFAIK the screen zoom only works in text modes.

There may be a few graphics mode tricks for speedups, but anything I can think of would require the presence of a real mc6845.. i.e. not portable, and wouldn't work on the palmtops.

OTOH, the 100LX also supports the 240x128(?) graphics mode of the 95LX. But I guess that one isn't fully zoomed up either, so it'd be a pretty small window.

18 fps VS 13 fps suggests fairly smalls gains, but certainly every ms will count when you start to add sprites.

Maybe you could copy vertical columns instead of horizontal stripes. This way it would be possible to check the height of the previous column and not needlessly copy ceiling and floor color that has not changed. The screen tearing might be quite ugly though.

Back