• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Post your 2014 vintage computing new year resolutions/goals

barythrin

Veteran Member
Maybe a public sha^H^H^Hposting of goals will help kick off things into a reality other than a recurring resolution. Anyone bold enough to post their goals and how it goes?

- This is a huge task but I need/want to officially inventory my collection
- Organize collection (although unfortunately this will likely include making things take less space and not in the presentable form I've tried to keep them in). *Too much floor space being utilized by having the shelf space in museum fashion.
- Find a disk archiving solution and finally start archiving what I do have.

I'll debate creating a digital presence; while I'd like to contribute as much as I can that task will be large to become useful and will likely wait for me to complete the prior goals. I fear these may have been similar goals the last year or two but I'll try to get life to comply again soon.

Everything you said plus sell or at least market about 80% of what I have. Also I plan on building those 486 gaming systems I keep telling my friends about.

I need to get rid of some of my stuff and fix the Compaq Portable Keyboard.

Some I have some stuff like two of a system and I don't use either...why bother keeping one?

-Complete cabling for the PDP-11/84
It needs new ribbon cables linking the two Pertec drives to the controller and a harness made from Cat6 to connect the RA82 to the UDA50. There's also that god damn speed servo issue that I feel like I need local help with. Once that's all done the system should start up on its own muscle.

-Generate installs for the Apple Network Servers
All three machines are now in an operating state. With drives and 384mb of ram each. I have the install media and configuration disk for the RAID controller so all I need to do is take a weekend to install AIX on them and give them an exercise

-Complete the UCC6H(ayes) modification to the teletype
Most of the parts are on order. Most of the schematics are completed. There's a few oddball parts like the ringer and lamp logic that needs to be revised but most of the metal fabrication and component positioning is finished. Boards just need to be assembled and the wiring harness built. The big variable is programming the microcontroller, which is in the hands of someone else.

-Complete the NeXT MO repairs
I've done all I can so far to help the big push to revive the drives. Now that we know that a full recap yields a 50% success rate we need to solve the mystery of the other 50% that I'm in.
With Cannon no longer even admitting the drive was ever designed by them, officially it's me and one other person who are trying to find out what causes the CPU in the drive to sit idle when it shouldn't and thus cause the drive to act completely brain dead. I now simply act as the person to verify various tests to see what between healthy and dead boards fails. We badly need more assistance.

Last edited:
STOP BUYING THINGS!!!

Other than that, :rolleyes:

Now that I have a REAL, TRUE, dual-trace O-scope, I hope that I can resolve the powerup issue(s) of the (MANY similar) laptops I have, and then possibly sell a few of them! :p

Scrounge up the cash to get (at least one) battery(ies) for the Tandy/Grid/Panasonic/DEC machines and the TempoLX that works right with a good battery.

Resolve the TempoLX's issue with not running display lighting off the power supply... (schematics anyone?)

... I think that will be enough for this year.
:D

• Get the PDP-11, VAX, and MSX2 set up in my new house.
  • Figure out what to do with the RS/4000 and UltraSPARC machines I've acquired.
  • Get the V30 I bought installed in my Tandy.
  • Make more use of my Amiga and 68k Macs.

I'm already awesome at soldering (Insert an "I'm awesome" image here...)

No resolution as such, unless you count 1024x768 due to my workstation blowing a graphics card (No USXGA for me until I replace that) though I am planning to start selling stuff that I don't need, my interest mostly goes towards hardware, I practically own everything I care about so maybe it is time to part some out and give someone else a turn with it.

I'm tempted to hang on though as I can see what I own increasing in value somewhat in the future, thanks to all the OEM collectors out there the common OEM parts will become less valuable than the more uncommon, more innovative and usually more historically significant clone parts. At least, that's my prediction. Also, supply is drying up and I'm sure everyone knows the concept of supply/demand vs. pricing etc...

Finish my MS BACKUP clone with FTP network support (useful for backing up and restoring old hard drives without a second hard disk or floppies :D) and submit it to the mTCP suite... sometime this century lol.

Last edited:
Back