• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Posting YT videos

tony359

Experienced Member
Hi there,

I fixed two Apple //c monitors and made a YT video about that. Before posting it I just wanted to check with the community that this is ok as my channel is big enough to monetise (very little :) ) and I don't want to appear as someone just looking for advertisement.
What are your thoughts?

Thank you!

my thoughts are two fold..

First off. Share the link.

Secondly, pop open a nice fresh step 2.

BTW..Did you mention the electrolytic capacitor that is mislabeled? Is this a hitachi or samsung variant?

It's the Samsung, but there are multiple revisions of the Samsung board IIRC: some have the mislabeled cap and others don't.

I'm not a moderator here but I can't see the harm, provided your intention is just to share your enthusiasm or knowledge about something with others, which is kind of what vcfed and the whole vintage computer hobby is about. If you're just trying to get views and make money and you're spamming all over the place, that might not go over as well. There are a significant number of us here including myself (for the time being) who do youtube also and I think if we were all posting every video the mods would get kind of cranky. I don't really post here anymore unless it's something really interesting. I'm not skilled enough to offer repair videos like yours so I can't contribute anything there.

My 2 cents (15 cents with inflation).

Mislabeled capacitor? I wasn't aware of that, very interesting! Where can I find more?

@VERAULT sorry I'm not sure I understand what step 2 is :) I believe it's a Samsung variant.

Regarding sharing my videos, I see your point, @falter and I don't disagree.
My channel is a hobby and I hope to turn it into something more. So I am not hiding the fact that I am also sharing my videos so I get more views. But in the end more views allow me to invest more time on other projects.
Let me be clear, I was doing repairs before the channel was born. I enjoy tinkering with electronics and the channel was born to share with others. Sharing my projects make them much more worthwhile. I enjoy when someone leaves a comment with ideas, feedback, suggestions, critiques. Otherwise it's just me "ok, it works" and I move on to the following one.

There is obviously a monetary aspect after that which is minimal - a few pounds per video at the moment I'm afraid! - but it does exist. Hence me asking permission, particularly here where I am new.

At the end, I don't want my presence here to be perceived as someone spamming his content all over the internet.

@VERAULT sorry I'm not sure I understand what step 2 is :) I believe it's a Samsung variant.
Not a beer drinker eh? Choose your own beverage of choice than.

At the end, I don't want my presence here to be perceived as someone spamming his content all over the internet.
Better than trying to sell things at ebay prices the moment you join this forum.... A video link is fine..

Are you going to post it or not? your the one who opened the thread.

ahah amazing! I checked the one adjacent to the one mentioned! Lucky me! :)

Negative comments on this forum or negative comments on youtube?

Thats just one guy. And he barely even said anything? You cant make everyone happy dont try.

Last edited:
On this forum, see link above.

I appreciate what you say - and really thanks for your kind words - I just wanted to be 100% sure the admins (the forum/the community) are happy with my posts.

If I was to decipher his very brief statement to you I assume he means the HOBBY is now all about Youtube videos rather than just about all of us doing our own repairs. It seems to me to be a comment on youtube in general... not you.

Maybe. But it was in reply to my post which featured a YT video :)
Anyways, anybody can have their own opinions of course. If someone feels my videos/posts/etc are bad, they're entitled to that opinion. I just want to double check those kind of threads are ok for the admins/mods/community in general.

Others post their vlogs and youtube content so you can to. We already said that. You gotta learn to take criticism. The world is loaded with it.

I'm fine with criticism (good or bad), I just had the impression the comment in question was suggesting that it is "disgusting" for me to use this forum to just advertise my videos. If that is not the case - or if that's an isolated comment - then happy days.
Thanks again!

I’m glad for YouTube videos on retro tech. It’s probably why I’ve started collecting things.

Back in the early 90s I remember the Commodore 64 being a sort of the punchline to many lighthearted jokes, but I think I only recall one person I knew that actually had one, maybe. So a few years ago I decided to see if there were any videos that could shed some light onto the topic of why people always made fun of them back then. I found out pretty quickly that, instead of making fun of them, a lot of people had a lot of enthusiasm for the C64, because it was their first computer (and game machine). I don’t really have the same enthusiasm for that system, but I do enjoy owning one. Instead, the C64 YouTube videos inspired me to re-buy examples of my first computers (or things similar enough to them).

And now I think these videos are inspiring a new generation of kids that were born years after all of these computers were obsolete.

I'm fine with criticism (good or bad), I just had the impression the comment in question was suggesting that it is "disgusting" for me to use this forum to just advertise my videos. If that is not the case - or if that's an isolated comment - then happy days.
Thanks again!
Again.. your dwelling on a single members single word.. if you want clarification send him a private message.. Otherwise you are making a big deal about absolutely nothing.

@VERAULT Thanks. Well, I'm just taking the community seriously and double checking things, that's it. I appreciate your help.
@jafir yes, that's the purpose! I got an Apple //e because it reminds me when I was a kid - the //c has a slightly different story behind it but still reminds me of when I was 7-8.

Back