• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Powerbook 520 Power Adapter

Wildman

Does anybody have a clue about the pinout of the 4 pin power adapter on the powerbook 520 / 540 units? what scarce little info that did exist seems to have disappeared with imageshack going stupid. I have one here currently in the process of restoration, but can't justify getting an original psu if the logic board is shot. It appears that the two left side pins could be +16 volts but unsure..

attach a photograph, please

attach a photograph, please

I am of no help to you, but I ask you to help everyone else, by snapping a picture for us to see.

equill said:

I would like to see a picture of the plug or inlet receptacle.

msieweke said:
https://68kmla.org/forums/index.php?/topic/7704-powerbook-520-power-pinouts/#entry88436
I was able to get my PB520 working with a 1.3A@15V power supply from a cable modem (free). I cut the connector off of the dead original power supply and wired the orange/red wires to +15V; the black wire and braid go to ground. The blue wire is not connected.

Final update on the powerbook 520; After putting power into the battery terminals and at least getting the unit to power up and give a happy mac chime I decided to purchase the power adaptor off ebay. After a heavy bath in vinagre to dissolve the massive amounts of NiCd induced oxidation in the battery regulator circuitry the unit is once again in working condition, although it may never be capable of running off battery power again without some extensive reworking and replacment of battery terminals..

Where are you from? I have lots of spare parts for the PB 500 Series, incl. a fully working mainboard without battery damage.

West Virginia, USA.. That reminds me maybe I should at least update my profile..

The corrosion also took out the ribbon cable that connects to the touchpad, unfortunately.

Just for giggles i'm making this post on the very same PB 520, rock on vintage mac..

Last edited:
The corrosion also took out the ribbon cable that connects to the touchpad, unfortunately.
I have some spare touchpads incl. cables as well. Though shipping from Germany to the USA is probably as expensive as buying another PB 520 for parts. :-/

Fortunately, I only had two PowerBooks at all so far with slight battery damage. One was a 190c and one was a 1400cs. In both cases, only the contacts in the battery bay were corroded. I simply desoldered them and added new ones.

The PB 5x0 batteries seem to leak not so often. But if they do, they can cause lots of damage in short time. :(

Back