• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Powering up a MEK6802D5 board my recent find

inotarobot

Veteran Member
greetings again

background on how Spookly I just acquired this MEK6802D5 pcb can be found in my recent post called

"Modern Computers Speak, Old Computers talk but Vintage Computers SCREAM !!!!"

(( Please can the Moderator move that post from this "OTHER SECTION" to the "Collection/Community" area and under the "General Vintage Computer Discussions" tab.))

wCTOTxU.jpg

fJPrn1s.jpg

N4eenNg.jpg

Eleo82u.jpg

Ke02Hy8.jpg

So before powering it up, I cleaned this MEK6802D5 board and did some checks with a multimeter for shorts.
Had a good look at board under a magnifier and once happy connected it to one of my adjustable current limit able Bench Power supplies set at 5.0Vdc.

Found a manual online for this board and downloaded it and printed out relevant parts of it. Will print lot eventually.

Checked the jumpers and chips orientations and all looked fine.

So plugged in bench power suppy to 240vac mains turned it on.

I get the Single - on the left hand most 7 seg display which is good.

Tried keyboard and it seems all keys function producing the expected responses

DtEeE72.jpg

xcfFjBh.jpg

So I type in code listing below as taken from the downloaded manual

gYaQgmS.png

I enter it exactly and its all looks fine single stepping through it.

I have a video of this but not sure if we can see videos in this forum so imgur link is

https://imgur.com/scl9lqu

I do what is said at bottom of code snippet entering "0" then "GO"

BUT when I try to run it I get total blank of the display..

Seems the program is changing the value of location 0000 from 86 to 00

Reload 86 into 0000 and retry still get total blank display

recheck memory location 0000 and its back to 00 from 86

reload 86 and step through rest of program.. all good so

ex then RS or just RS either, I then recheck program and all is fine except address 0000 has 00 as it value.. changed from 86

Tried it a couple of times totally powering down. letting board sit then powering up and re-entering program.

I have stepped though checking the ROM against the listing in manual and it seem fine.

I am not sure what it wrong yet.. I am missing something but time at moment is against me as Maria has been ill and stressed and thus my focus is towards her.

Last edited:
Great salvage finds.

Try your program starting at address $E000 instead. From the picture you have the 2114 optional ram Chips at U6 and U7. This gives ram from$E000 to $E3FF.

Normally when the buffer I/O chips are installed (U1, U2, U3) ( they appear to be installed in your photo) the internal 6802 ram should be disabled by jumpering across “E1” as discussed in the manual. With the buffer chips installed, all addresses from $0000 to $7FFF are assumed to come from the edge connector (external to the D5 board) through the buffer chips. You have an address conflict now for addresses $0000-$007F.

The D5 is a nice board to experiment with!

Great salvage finds.

Try your program starting at address $E000 instead. From the picture you have the 2114 optional ram Chips at U6 and U7. This gives ram from$E000 to $E3FF.

Normally when the buffer I/O chips are installed (U1, U2, U3) ( they appear to be installed in your photo) the internal 6802 ram should be disabled by jumpering across “E1” as discussed in the manual. With the buffer chips installed, all addresses from $0000 to $7FFF are assumed to come from the edge connector (external to the D5 board) through the buffer chips. You have an address conflict now for addresses $0000-$007F.

The D5 is a nice board to experiment with!

r2nLZHG.jpg

Program I had inputted was supposed to display USE D5 & now it does when inputted at address $E000 rather than $0000

ufUmfFI.jpg

Stanley you are spot on. Thank you

Just proves it pays to print out the full manual and get out the red & green highlighters and go through it with the board in front of you.

I was way distracted and missed the fact that the board had optional ram at U6 & U7 as they are actually soldered into board (not socketed like other peoples photos of same board are) and Buffer Chips are also soldered as original Not socketed either.

By the way of the 2 photos the one of full board reading USE5D was taken directly of board using my Samsung J8 in plain Photo mode.

Where as the narrow sharp photo was also taken with J8 but in PRO mode set at 100 iso and I went and grabbed a old (but new) LED front panel red lens bezzel and sat that about 1/2"above 7seg displays, and took pic on zoom with J8 about 12" above board, then uploaded to IMGUR and used Edit/Crop image to produce what you see in the narrow 1st pic here

fVpSeg3.jpg

Last edited:
Just had a try modifying the initial program below that displayed USE D5 to display my name david ..
this is closest it comes

MKcvZni.jpg

JHGaEDs.jpg

Fbw6COM.jpg

CAiApl0.jpg

v23pyj4.jpg

DoEWNkF.jpg

gYaQgmS.png

Last edited:
Nicely done! I replied to this thread earlier, suggesting moving the start location, but that post hasn't appeared, maybe since I'm new to the forum it's awaiting moderation?

I'll see if this one shows up.

Regards
Ray

Got the 106 page downloaded Manual printed out double sided and a metal spiral binding comb with clear cover by a large Office Supplier shop. Cost Aus $16 and took 5 mins to get done. Easier than doing at home.

Nicely done! I replied to this thread earlier, suggesting moving the start location, but that post hasn't appeared, maybe since I'm new to the forum it's awaiting moderation?

I'll see if this one shows up.

Regards
Ray

Yes it can take time for new users messages to appear.

Thank you for the suggestion.

By the way I private messaged you

Regards
David

Thanks David,

I understand the need for moderators to put new users into a posting hold. I'll reply to the PM's instead.

Regards
Ray

Back