• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Powertran Cortex

Hi all
I have just skimmed this long and ancient thread. Although I've searched for info on the Cortex before I recently realised that adding powertran to the search made things much better. My interest being that I built one from the kit and ETI instructions back when it was released.

So finding @tms9995 's website and reading the user group newsletters, I was reminded that, like @planetming above, that I also won a prize for a bit of software. I placed second with GDesign, a sprite designer, which I wrote mainly to help with programming the graphics for Mighty Muncher, a Pacman ripoff that I also wrote with my brother-in-law.

I also submitted a hack for making the 'bell' output more 'musical'. This was a bit of a shock to me as I'd completely forgotten about it and now couldn't even imagine how I did it!

In trying to search the user group PDFs I realised they hadn't been OCR'd so I've done that. They won't be perfect but it does make searching easier and if anyone wants them I'm happy to upload them somewhere.

Thanks for triggering the memories.

Gary
Welcome to the current iteration of the world of the Cortex, Gary. OCR versions of the newsletters are a very good idea. We just need to get them up onto the new somewhere (the Powertran Cortex website would definitely be a good place to start. . .).

Welcome to the current iteration of the world of the Cortex, Gary. OCR versions of the newsletters are a very good idea. We just need to get them up onto the new somewhere (the Powertran Cortex website would definitely be a good place to start. . .).
Presumably you mean http://powertrancortex.com/ ?
That's where I downloaded most of them and why I tagged @tms9995 so that would make sense to me but no reply to the tag so far. I also got the 'missing' ones from the FTP site (mentioned earlier in this thread). The zip of all 21 OCR'd is 108MB so too big to attach here. I'll give it a few days and if nobody can give me somewhere to upload I'll stick it on googledrive or something, temporarily, and post a link here.

Thanks for the welcomes!

Gary

Hi All,

I have recently got into electronics & retro computing in a big way, and in doing so, I've ended up retracing the path my father took 30+ years ago. Refurbishing and reverse engineering computers from before my time is immensely rewarding to me, but finding documentation is often the hardest part.
I've spent ages searching for the user group newsletters, and I've of course found powertrancortex.com and ftp.whtech.com, but they're both missing issues #1, #5, and #8. I'm hoping one of you in this thread has a copy of them.
In particular, I would really like to find a copy of UGN #1, because that's the one that features the 'Bulletproof RAM' mod which was created by my father. It would mean so so much to me to be able to read his submission from all those years ago.

-Alan

Hi All,

I have recently got into electronics & retro computing in a big way, and in doing so, I've ended up retracing the path my father took 30+ years ago. Refurbishing and reverse engineering computers from before my time is immensely rewarding to me, but finding documentation is often the hardest part.
I've spent ages searching for the user group newsletters, and I've of course found powertrancortex.com and ftp.whtech.com, but they're both missing issues #1, #5, and #8. I'm hoping one of you in this thread has a copy of them.
In particular, I would really like to find a copy of UGN #1, because that's the one that features the 'Bulletproof RAM' mod which was created by my father. It would mean so so much to me to be able to read his submission from all those years ago.

-Alan

I have them from issue 1 to 21.
#1, 5 & 8 attached.

Jim

Attachments

• User Group News Letter 1.pdf
    531.5 KB · Views: 7
  • User Group News Letter 5.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 3
  • User Group News Letter 8.pdf
    781.6 KB · Views: 4
Jim, I cannot thank you enough for those! You don't know how much this means to me. I wish you all the best.

And, Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!
No problem, I can't take credit for scanning them, i got them from somebody else.
I'm surprised there isn't a full set on the net still.
I've got a fully expanded Cortex 2 which i built from a unbuilt kit in 2011 and i've got a PP95 which is a industrial version of the Cortex which needs a full restoration one day.
I did your Dads Bullet proof RAM mod to my Cortex.

Back