• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Pre-Production SID chip?

DOSDays

Hi everyone,

One of my viewers at RetroIsle.com has asked me to try and find out any information about a possible engineering prototype SID he has acquired.

He writes: "I am a Commodore collector and have either an engineering prototype C64 or what I believe is a super early consumer sale unit. It has many ceramic package chips including a 2082[-dated] SID. Instead of a country and production line stamping on the bottom of the chip’s package, it just has a numeric code on it ending in an “X”. Do you know of anyone who might be familiar with the code on the bottom of this chip? I can’t find much information about these SIDs online. I had also heard in Commodore circles that the early SID chips were USA made. I am not certain about that information but would really like to hear it from someone who knows for sure or has documentation.".

Pics provided. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 6581_sid_2.jpeg
    6581_sid_2.jpeg
    679.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 6581_sid_1.jpeg
    6581_sid_1.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 24
I found this in one of my C64s. That's just how the early chips were made.

Attachments

• IMG_20190927_163737879.jpg
    IMG_20190927_163737879.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 9
Thanks @Timo W. and @C128 Guy,
I think it's less about the fact it's in a ceramic package, and more (a) the production date of week 20, 1982, and (b) the code on the underside of the chip. Timo, since your chip is out, can you send a pic of the underside also?

Spring 1982 MOS chips are not uncommon in early C64's. They were ramping up very quick into production from Spring to Fall of that year.

This video shows a 2082, with other chips from 1782. C64 SN S00001450, and they start at S00001000

The ceramic SIDs are very uncommon though... They are all from early to mid 1982 and no later. The VIC-II 6567 chip shows up all the time in ceramic format, even years later with R7/R8/R9.

Speaking of oddball C64.. years ago I picked up what I thought was a VIC-20 at a church sale. I mean, it was in a white VIC case with early metallic VIC badges on it. When I looked at it sometime later, it turned out to have a C64 board - and the case had been milled (like, on a milling machine) to accept the differing C64 board features, like the expansion connector. Also, the bottom of the case was hot-stamped REFURBISHED in 3/8" tall letters.

Always wondered what the story was with that. Was someone buying cheap C64 boards and 'upgrading' customer's VICs to C64s? Was it an assembly line operation?

Back