• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Price check - Amiga 1200

DonutKing

Experienced Member
Hi
Sorry if this is in the wrong section but I wasn't sure it was appropriate for the marketplace forums.

I have the opportunity to buy an Amiga 1200 with a PCMCIA compact flash adapter, plus CF card and DVD full of games/software.

The asking price is $200
Is this a fair price?

Thanks

Perhaps a little on the high side, but if you don't buy it the seller will probably be able to find other buyers at that price, so to say. It depends how eager you are, if you are willing to supervise and wait until the right (cheaper) machine shows up. The PCMCIA-CF adapter is pretty cheap from China, I think almost anyone will work. The CF card depends on the capacity. The DVD full of copied games can have any value between $0 and how much you appreciate it.

Right the games are just usually a compilation of pirated crap they found over the years (or in one large download) so not legitimate data other than entertainment purposes there. Obviously make sure it's fully working too for that price. I'm not sure about the price or rates it would get in your neck of the woods though but Amiga 1200 and 4000s do still sell for semi-current projects or probably a growing number of animators who are starting to feel nostalgic and want to play with video toasters and who aren't active enough to be on the new Amiga OS 4/AmigaOne platform.

My personal rule of thumb is that a working, base A1200 with hard drive, unboxed and with no OS software/manuals, is worth about $125USD. 4gb CF cards are usually pretty cheap (I picked up some 16gb cards on sale for $30 apiece awhile back), and as Carlsson said, CF-IDE adapters are dirt cheap (I got mine from an ebay seller, 3qty, $5 shipped from Hong Kong).

Don't factor the DVD into the cost. There are just WAY too many resources on the net to pull games and software for free.

Also, eab.amiga.net and amibay forums are good places to look for comparison on prices and options. That unit will sell at $200, but I too would consider it on the pricey side - unless it's got a hidden trap door expansion or something.

Back