• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Problem: Philips NMS 9100

hermes

Hi,

around 10 years ago I played some little games with a Philips NMS 9100 and discovered computers.
But by my curiosity I deleted some important files and my computer crashed :( ( I was only 7 years old :wink: )

Now, 10 years later, I want use my old computer just for fun.
But I have a problem: my plan was to put DOS on a diskette and to change in the BIOS that the computer must boot from the diskette.
But how do I come in the BIOS?

Here are some photos of the Philips NMS 9100:

23698.jpg

23698.jpg

PS sorry for my English

It should be set up to boot from a floppy already. You may be trying to boot the wrong drive. Try making a 5.25" bootdisk and boot from that. Alternately, you may be trying to boot a high-density 3.5" (1.44Mb), when what it wants is a double-density (720Kb) bootdisk.

--T

Diky said:
Philips nms 9100 is an XT computer and for this reason it doesn't have built-in bios setup utility but only dip switches on motherboard to change configuration. You can find useful information at:
http://home.iae.nl/users/pb0aia/cm/garage.html

1000x thanks!
I'll try it tomorrow.

edit: @Terry Yager: also many thanks.
But now I go to bed ( it 's 01.00 am in Europe)
Bye

The dip switches:
1 on=8087 coprocessor not installed
off=8087 coprocessor installed
2 on=one diskette drive installed \ setting of drive type is not
off=two diskette drives installed / needed, bios will determine
3 mem size
4 mem size
5 on=parallel port disabled
off=parallel port enabled as lpt1
6 reserved
7 on=serial port disabled
off=serial port enabled as com1
8 on=fixed disk port disabled
off=fixed disk port enabled at 320-323 hex
The p3105 uses a XT-IDE type hard disk at this port. It can also
use regular mfm hard disks with a controller card in one of the
slots. When you do this, sw8 should be ON.

On my computer switch 1 is on, switch 2 till 8 are off.
Is that OK?
@Terry Yager: I can't make 5.25" on this computer, only 3.5".
But you think the Philips can also boot from a 3.5"?
Do I have to change switches for boot from a 3.5"?
On this computer (Windows XP) is also MS-DOS.
Can I copy the MS-DOS files of this computer to a diskette and boot from that diskette?

Thanks
Hermes

Ok, according to your switch settings, it's looking to boot from a hard drive. If the hard drive is non-functional, try setting switch 8 to "on", and see if it will boot from your floppy then.
If it still doesn't boot, you need to determine which drive is "A:" and which is "B:". (When you try to boot, which floppy light comes on first?) Whichever drive it looks at first is the boot drive. If it's the 5.25", then you'll need to re-arrange the boot order, but if it's the 3.5", then you'll just need to create a 720Kb bootdisk for it. You can do that on a more modern computer by using the right parameter in the FORMAT command line (from a DOS prompt). The command line should look like this:

Format A: /F:720 /S

That should create a 720Kb bootdisk.

If you need to re-arrange the boot drive order, (if it's trying to boot from the 5.25"), get back to us, and someone will be able to walk you thru the process.

--T

Thanks Terry for your hulp.
But I have still some questions:
"If the hard drive is non-functional, try setting switch 8 to "on", and see if it will boot from your floppy then. " What do you mean exactly? The hard drive of the Philips works excellent.
The main problem is that if I boot the Philips, I get an interface where I can chose of different programs like Lotus ( my father uses the Philips at office ).
One of these options is go to the dos prompt.
But that doesn't work any more.
So I can't do anything on the Philips exept for a few programs of a office.

My "A:" drive is the 3.5".
( again a question: can the Philips read 3.5" diskettes with 2 holes? Here is a picture of a diskette with 1 hole, here with 2 holes )

Format A: /F:720 /S doesn't work on Windows XP.
The option /S isn't allowed because a security reason.

I tried to make a bootdisk: I right-click on the diskette -> I chose format -> I chose make an MS-DOS bootdisk but that doesn't work :S

However, thanks for your help.
Hermes

Oooohhh, I seeee...

There are at least a thousand different "menu" programs that run under DOS, so in order to help you, we would need to know just exactly which program you're using, and be familliar with that p'ticular program. A lot of them will exit to DOS by hitting the <ESC> key, but others use another key, usually one of the "function" keys. You could experiment with them and see if one works.

The number of holes doesn't make a difference, but how it's formatted does. The ones with 2 holes may be formatted to 1.44Mb or 720Kb (or even 360Kb) under DOS. The one-holers can only be formatted to 720Kb. If the machine in question is an 8086/8 (XT-compatible) machine, then it will only read/write 720Kb disks.

Your Winderz machine will default to writing 1.44Mb disks (on the 2-hole media), which the XT-compat won't be able to use. I musta mis-understood you, I thought you said you had DOS on your WinXP machine too (dual-boot). Without a DOS emulator, or real DOS, the XP machine won't be able to create a disk that will boot the XT-compat. You'll need Genuine DOS for that...

--T

Hehe.. I remember those- it was in the race for being my first IBM compatible. At that time I was working for Philips, so there was some rebate.

But in the end, the Commodore PC10 was a better deal.

Are you from the Netherlands Hermes? (I am).

Back