• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Problems adding a 5.25 to my 1000 TX

CRAZYDAVE

Hi everyone.
I recently purchased a 5.25" drive off of eBay to install in my 1000TX.
For some reason I can't get either drive working with the 5.25 plugged in.

I have tried the various different dip switch settings on the 3.5", but so long as the 5.25 is plugged in, both drive lights remain illuminated from power up, and do not extinguish.

The 3.5" of course will read just fine as the sole drive, with the switch set to the farthest aft (towards the back of the computer) position.

Some info on the 5.25:
Supposed working pull from a 1000TL.
Teac FD-55BR-521-U

Any ideas??

CRAZYDAVE:

What type of floppy cable are you using? You need to use a cable without the 'twist' The SX/TX uses a non-twist floppy cable. Next, check your 5.25 jumpers and set it for DS1 if your 3.5 is DS0. This will determine which will be your A & B drives. I'm assuming you'll want you 3.5 as the A drive, however you set it which ever way you wish. Check the below link - it has a most of setup procedure for your TEAC. Also, which "switch are you talking about?

http://maben.homeip.net/static/S100/teac/diskette/Teac%20FD55BR%20Floppy%20Drive.pdf

I've gotten a lot of troubleshooting help from the Yahoo Tandy 1000 group on this.
Firstly, I'll describe a few things.
The 3.5" drive that came with my TX has a little 4 position switch on the side. The drive worked when it was installed as the only drive and the switch was set to the farthest aft position.
Let's assume that switch position is Drive 0 for the 3.5".
So now, i've tried this:
- 5.25" jumper set to drive 1
- 3.5" switch still in far aft position
- Cable that came with the TX connected correctly (and no, there isn't a twist in that cable like there would be in a modern floppy cable)

Result:
After the TX boots to the HDD, I try a: prompt... both drives spin and the drive lights illuminate in unison with each other.
There is a failure reading drive A message.

So, lets experiment.

5.25" jumper in drive 0
3.5" switch still in aft position.

Result:
Same as above

Now lets keep the 5.25 jumper in position zero, and just move the 3.5" switch to each position and see what happens.

Result:
Both drives spin in unison, but only the 5.25 drive's light illuminates...still failure error when trying for a prompt.

Now,
- 5.25" jumper to Dr1 position
- go thru each 3.5 switch pos and see what happens

Result:
No lights at all, both spin in unison.
When the switch on the 3.5" is in the farthest aft position, the 3.5 light illuminates, but the 5.25 does not while each drive spins in unison.

So after all that, I plugged the 5.25 into an old Compaq 486 I have, as the only A: drive, with the jumper set to Drive 0.

Result:
The bios recognised a 360K 5.25 floppy drive, and the drive spun on initial floppy seek. Then, both from dos, then windows 95, when a: drive was selected, the drive light came on, but DID NOT SPIN.

I hope that info was helpful...what do ya'll think??

Assuming that 5.25 drive you are attempting to use is a known good drive, make sure that pin one on the drive matches up with pin 1 on the system board. In my SX, after replacing the 5.25" drives with my own 3.5" drives, I had to make a new cable (the connectors on the original 5.25" drives were upside down so I couldn't use the tandy cable).

-Chris Noyes

Back