• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Problems with a TI-59 [It actually IS a computer]

per

Veteran Member
Some days ago, I tried to use my (dad's) old TI59 calculator/pocketcomputer. I plugged out the battery pack (I don't know if it is smert to charge such old batteries), and turned it on by the power trafor.

When I turned it on, It quickly flashes a "C" to the left, and then a zero appears as normal to the right. If I then try to press any keys, it goes crazy, and a lot of garrabge flasshes on the screen (somtimes, the magnetic tape-reader even starts!).

What might be the problem?

These calculators require the battery pack to be installed in order to work right. You should be able to find them on e-bay from time to time (the battery pack). Another option would be to put it in the printer cradle and use it that way--then you don't need a battery pack. The printer cradles are also sold on e-bay pretty regularly.

It shouldn't damage it--the manual just states that it won't work properly without it or the docking cradle.

I have the TI-59 and just bought a brand new battery pack (it was $36) on ebay - someone is selling new ones with Kodak batteries that last 4 times longer than the originals. I tried to repair mine with new batteries, but the soldering was horrible and stuck out too far for it to fit back in the machine, and I gave up on that route. I've very pleased with the 'new' machine:)

-Dean

I have the TI-59 and just bought a brand new battery pack (it was $36) on ebay - someone is selling new ones with Kodak batteries that last 4 times longer than the originals. I tried to repair mine with new batteries, but the soldering was horrible and stuck out too far for it to fit back in the machine, and I gave up on that route. I've very pleased with the 'new' machine:)

-Dean

I don't bother if the pack is in the calc or not. What I plan is to just get a 3.6v wierless-phone battery and put some wires from the contacts on the calc to the battery poles (of course with the right polarity!).

Back