• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Problems with FreHD HDD LSDOS master password

John(Wales-UK)

Experienced Member
Hi

I imported a file to partition 1 (drive 1) of the LSDOS image supplied with my FreHD but am unable to delete it due to the master password. I have tried all combinations of "PASSWORD" and have not updated the password myself. Any help here would be appreciated.

If anyone could also point me towards the documentation for creating a FreHD HDD image from scratch, it would also be very much appreciated.

Kind regards

John

Interesting timing: I just soldered and assembled my frehd board few days ago and after some fiddling tried to do just that -- to erase (purge) drive 1 on australian image to replace it with pro-wam, and was baffled with this master password mistery, came here to look for hints and maybe start a new thread. An here you go - my question was just asked, thank you very much.

Well, I've tried everything you tried with no success either. Memory command did not help. Here are few more observations I made to add to discussion:

Only partition 1 is protected with master password - you can purge on any other of 4 partitions.

I noticed a file demo/jcl on the image with the following content:
Code:
MEMORY (ADD="A",B=36)
BACKUP :0 :1 (I)
It for some reason modifies register "A" before copying file to protected drive :1, not register N as suggested in faq referenced. And no, changing that memory did not remove master password from :1 either.

I am inclined to follow http://members.iinet.net.au/~ianmav/trs80/FreHD RSHARD6 Setup.pdf to create a brand new image file and transfer content of the :0 from downloaded image there and if that would result in bootable drive that would be all what I would want from frehd. I will share resulting image if I will succeed.

UPDATE: no luck. If I use `vhdutl (mnt,addr=1,create,vhd="new")` before I disable the drive with `system (drive=1,disable)`, I get `ERROR 11H`. If after, I get `ERROR 07H`. If I try to erase existing partition 1 with `system(drive=1,disable,driver="rshard6"), I get "No heads available on that drive". Enough voodoo dances for today

Last edited:
There's a short mention about LDOS master password in TRSTIMES newsletter. Vol2. No.5 page 24. Does "RoSoLToFF' ring any bells with anyone?

Thanks, that did not work either. It seems to be zeros, not low case o characters in the text (R0S0LT0FF), but there is also shorter version of password (with the same hash?): P3UF Neither worked for me. Curious, that on prompt it is not even possible to enter that long password, maximum length is 8 characters

Did you try rs0lt0ff (zeros, not the letter 'O')? That will give you the 8 character password. I'm just guessing and haven't tried it myself.

OK, I ended up wiping directory on second partition with command below
Bash:
dd if=/dev/zero of=lsdos conv=notrunc bs=1 seek=$((0x2100)) count=$((0x240))
That made second partition available for formatting. I actually did format it using trs80gp emulator.
I ran the emulator in model 4p mode with the this hard drive image attached as drive 4, and the lsdos image attached as drive 5. Pasting the lines below into emulator window (Ctrl-Alt-V) will perform the task in no time.
Code:
system (drive=5,disable,driver="rshard6")
2,f
rsform6 :5 (s,v=no,n="M4LSDOSB")

Great work. Would you be able to post a shared link to the LSDOS image that has been 'BASH'ed and 'CODE'd please?

Last edited:
Bash:
dd if=/dev/zero of=lsdos conv=notrunc bs=1 seek=$((0x2100)) count=$((0x240))
Wiping only 3 bytes starting at position 0x2100 also seems do to the trick:
Bash:
dd if=/dev/zero of=lsdos conv=notrunc bs=1 seek=$((0x2100)) count=3
... so maybe it's easier to make the changes with a hex editor ...

Here it is attached.

BTW, note to forum admins: 7z compressed the file to less than half size of zip, but forum does not allow to attach 7z files

Attachments

• lsdos.zip
    573.3 KB · Views: 3
From my notes
Disable passwords
SYS2/SYS
Rec 02&h Byte 50&h
Change 28&h to 18h
I think I did this when I created the self booting 4P image on Ian's site so that image should have all p/words disabled.

The Master-Password is (of course): FRED

Code:
attrib :5 (PW="PASSWORD",MPW="FRED")

... tested and works on M4LSDOSB drive ...

(sigh)... dyslexia has struck again :)
Is this MPW documented somewhere? I don't have the FreHD-Hardware, so maybe I missed it. Thanks to Tim Mann's "trspwhash" it was of course easy and afterwards also obvious ... ;)

Back