• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Programmer's editor?

I forget if I typically use VDE or VEDIT on CP/M-80. You can also use WordStar in plaintext mode, if you like WordStar.

Check out the SIMTEL20 CP/M library on archive.org. There's a whole bunch of editors there. There may even be a copy of MINCE there, if you're of the emacs persuasion.

@SteveH

That site is for CP/M 86.

I have been trying to dig out a working copy of WS, but the ones I have found so far are either locked to a machine, say Kaypro or have unsynced files, ie complains that wsmsgs.ovl is the wrong version....

A long time ago I used to keep Turbo Pascal on my Uni coursework 8" CP/M diskettes. The entire IDE was monolithic, but I recall it was only about 35Kb total so it was ideal for editing documents and COBOL assignments, apart from its built-in Pascal. It used the WordStar keys but was a lot leaner then WordStar, and super fast. I really loved it and I'd still recommend it today.

Looks like its here at http://techtinkering.com/2013/03/05/turbo-pascal-a-great-choice-for-programming-under-cpm/

Last edited:
A long time ago I used to keep Turbo Pascal on my Uni coursework 8" CP/M diskettes. The entire IDE was monolithic, but I recall it was only about 35Kb total so it was ideal for editing documents and COBOL assignments, apart from its built-in Pascal. It used the WordStar keys but was a lot leaner then WordStar, and super fast. I really loved it and I'd still recommend it today.[/URL]

I'll second this. That was my editor of choice for decades, and I'll still use it unless I'm using the similar HSPascal editor, or my own similar editor.

The early versions even let you customise every single key function. (Which frankly I always thought was a nuisance; for the defaults work very well).

Back