• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Proposed "Pet Alive!" day

tezza

Veteran Member
Hi,

I've had an idea for an event to celebrate the Commodore PET. Several of use have been disussing this (cosam, MikeS, Anders, mrmacca, Dave_m) on another forum and offline. We have moved discussion to here. Ideas are still being kicked around but here is the proposal.

A weekend (probably April 24th-25th)
Activity. People drag out their PETs and exibit them to others by way of photo and/or Youtube video. These exibits would be judged. Categories would be
(a) Best dressed PET (adorned with props)
(b) Best behaved PET (a PET doing something)
(c) Best groomed PET (Cleanest Pet in original condition).

Categories would not need to be mutually exclusive.

Please use this forum to discuss and finalise the plans, prior to me sending posting out a general notice on the main VCF forums.

Tezza

I just thought of one other category which might encourage a few more people to post examples..

(d) Most neglectged PET.

The winner of this category will be threatened with a phone call from the Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA)...or your country's equivalent).:)

Tez

Most neglected, does it include those experiments with a bare motherboard and an unshielded power supply I posted pictures of? :mrgreen:

Unfortunately I'm away at a vintage gaming/computer meet on the 24th, but certainly be home on Sunday. If you like, we could let the event run for two consecutive weekends, ideally 17-25th to let everyone in.

>Most neglected, does it include those experiments with a bare motherboard and an unshielded power supply I posted pictures of?

LOL. That might be stretching it a bit Anders :)

You would certainly be someone who needs to around during the event. I wonder rather than two weekends, we could strech the event over a week (which incorporates those two weekends)? I am concious that events can lose focus if they go on for too long. A week might be ok though...and if people were prepared to offer diagnostic advice during the time, some successful fixes might be add to it? Also it would give time for more discussion and probably allow more people to participate as the can fit the event better around thier off-line lives.

Thoughts?

Tez

Guys,

Under the link below I've uploaded a draft notice for the VCF events section. Tell me what you think. Given that it will be a week rather than a weekend, I have made mention of PET Vets after all, but also added a note that there is no obligation to a full diagnostic session.

I thought I might ask Earl Evans (Retrobits) to be the judge. In case he's not interested, does anyone know of anyone else who has kudos in the Commodore PET world who you think might be willing?

I've dropped a note to Erik, just to clear the event with him. Have yet to hear back from him.

The draft events posting is here.

Comments?

Hi Guys,

Can I assume the silence is approval for the way the final event is starting to look? I've dropped Earl Evans a note about being a judge. Assuming people are still enthusaistic and supportive I'll post the Events Notice at the Forums sometime next week.

Start grooming up your PETS!

Tez

Just a progress note....Earl Evans (Retrobits podcast) has agreed to select and present the awards. I think it best to reveal the name of the judge in the events announcement, as Earl is known in retro-computing circles. It might help increase interest.

Ok, I'll post up an events notice later tonight. Last chance for comment or to suggest any modifications?

Tez

Tez,
In line with the dog show comment, at first I thought a 'Best of Show' category might be appropriate, but for the life of me, I can not come up with any special criteria, so maybe that would be a bit much.
-Dave

Yes, it will be worth giving Earl flexibility to give a "best of" award if he thinks it's warrented and also an award outside the listed categories...just in case someone has come up with something really novel that's worth a special mention.

Of course it depends on how many people participate. Hopefully more than just us!

Tez

Ah sorry, I signed up to the group and then forgot to check for messages... D'oh. Anyway, all sounds good and I'm looking forward to the event. I'll keep my eyes open for any sick PETs wandering around :)

Ok Guys,

As you can no doubt see, it's all go. I've posted the events notice.

It's crucial to get this notice out to the Commodore users forums and mailing lists. I'm not sure what those are. Are you able to handle that side of it Anders? I assume you are well-known in those circles.

I'm looking forward to this. As you can see by the announcement photo, I've dragged out my PET already. Now I just have to think about how I might dress it up for stepping out :)

Tez

Steve. there is an option (somewhere?) that causes posts to the emailed to you as well as show up here. It isn't the default, but I managed to find it and switch it on. Have a look for it...it avoids that "I forgot to check" scenario.

Tez

Yeah, I will post a notice to appropriate groups. I just need to gather exactly how to describe the event. If it goes well, perhaps next year we can collectively advertise a PET month? That would be something!

Opps! I didn't realise there was a FORUM by that name!

Oh well... Hopefully they won't think we stole it.

Tez

Thanks for posting that message Anders. Hopefully, a few of the members will participate.

After all if they are members of a forum called "Pet Alive" they just have to, right? :)

Back