• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PS/2 Model 70 drive

falter

Veteran Member
I've got a PS/2 Model 70 that seems to be mostly working fine. On power up, the drive stepper motor engages, however the spindle motor does not turn at all and thus it won't read anything.

Is this a potentially repairable problem? Could it be a sensor or something not picking up that the disk is inserted? Or is it more likely the spindle motor is dead?

Could just be the motor is seized but depending on how seized it is and how comfortable you are applying lubricant to electronics or working inside vintage hard disks (you need to keep the inside VERY clean) YMMV. If it's not that seized there's a chance you could get it working again, but chances are it'd seize up again eventually, could be a day, could be a year or two, nobody knows.

I've got a PS/2 Model 70... On power up, the drive stepper motor engages, however the spindle motor does not turn at all

It should be displaying an error code on the screen during POST. Can you give us the FRU or P/N of the hard drive? Include the maker (eg. CDC, Seagate, Connor, yada, yada, yada...). There were some drives that had sticktion problems. There might have been other issues. I'd have to churn through the RETAIN tips.

Sorry.. I'm an idiot.. I should have mentioned that this was the floppy drive.. not hard drive. Brain fart.

Back