• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Public Service Announcement: Beware of scammers, they work here too ...

As a side note: My bank credit card which I use to fund PayPal payments has in the last year begun to classify PP "Friends and Family" payments as "cash advances", and charges $11 plus a percentage of the sum sent for "advancing" the money.
-CH-

I haven't seen that personally but I am not surprised as it is essentially a cash advance. Of course if that happens NO ONE is getting F&F unless the seller wants to cover all of my fees!

So I always request the Friend / Fam route, with the option of the buyer adding extra to cover fees. Then again, I have a very fine 22-year reputation on eBay to back up my word..

Which IMHO is perfectly fine as long as you are upfront about it. Unfortunately, your fine 22-year eBay reputation is worth about as much as the digital bits its written on. I have no problem "paying" the PP fees. I just lower my offer amount so that the total sale price doesn't change for me (i.e. the total is what I am willing to pay for the item plus S&H in the manner agreed upon). Think of it like "free shipping". It is only "free" because they are not telling you how much they tacked on the sale price for S&H. I do take issue with some things e.g. paying for priority mail and having the seller ship media mail so they can pocket the difference. Outside of that, how the seller divvies up that money is totally his business.

Unfortunately, your fine 22-year eBay reputation is worth about as much as the digital bits its written on.

I'm not sure I follow you. In general, past performance is is a good metric for judging future behavior.

If someone has a long track record of fair & honest dealing, doesn't this rightfully improve our confidence in them? No one in their right mind would argue that the opposite is true.. this is why we call out scammers..

Incidentally, my rep extends to a number of sites beyond eBay, ar-15.com being one. I'm not trying to brag, just pointing out that if someone asks, I can offer more than just that one reference.

Speaking of ar-15.com, if someone has a solid long-term rep there, it's a very good sign. They have a "one negative feedback and you're banned for life" policy. What a nice place to do deals!

A thought or two on 'feedbacks'. I recently sold a brand new Asus certified x570 motherboard on eBay. The board was shipped in its original packaging with 99% of the hardware and screws along with the manual, CD, etc. The buyer shot back with and email stating that he had a problem getting the board to POST, and his previous board was the same type and it wouldn't POST either. He also went on to say that he had a problem getting the power supply to plug into the board but he believed that his PS was okay. I sent an email back giving what I thought to be good advise on how to plug the PS in, and also to make sure the 2 CPU rails were connected. I'm assuming that must have been okay as I didn't hear from him again, directly that is.

I was browsing through my seller's profile when I discovered that this buyer had sent in a 'Neutral' zinger. He said that the shipping was great but he had trouble with the motherboard's POST. Neutral doesn't really hurt but it sure bugs me and there's not much you can do about it. I knew I was dealing with a somewhat inept buyer, but Ebay doesn't care about that. I did send a few lines into eBay just for the record but that won't change anything down the road but at least it's on that buyer.

A thought or two on 'feedbacks'. I recently sold a brand new Asus certified x570 motherboard on eBay. The board was shipped in its original packaging with 99% of the hardware and screws along with the manual, CD, etc. The buyer shot back with and email stating that he had a problem getting the board to POST, and his previous board was the same type and it wouldn't POST either. He also went on to say that he had a problem getting the power supply to plug into the board but he believed that his PS was okay. I sent an email back giving what I thought to be good advise on how to plug the PS in, and also to make sure the 2 CPU rails were connected. I'm assuming that must have been okay as I didn't hear from him again, directly that is.

I was browsing through my seller's profile when I discovered that this buyer had sent in a 'Neutral' zinger. He said that the shipping was great but he had trouble with the motherboard's POST. Neutral doesn't really hurt but it sure bugs me and there's not much you can do about it. I knew I was dealing with a somewhat inept buyer, but Ebay doesn't care about that. I did send a few lines into eBay just for the record but that won't change anything down the road but at least it's on that buyer.
As Ron White stated. You cant fix stupid.

I ran into the same thing recently. I sell these handwired Apple IIc RGB port video/audio output adapters. I have sold just over a hundred to date. I never had bad feedback or a return on one.. Until recently that is . Someone who I truly believe must have a severe learning dissability or mental condition (No I am not trying to be mean.,,, IF you read thier emails you would probably assume the same) opened a claim that my item was not as described because he thought it was an "RF ADAPTER!" anyway trying to reason with him or have an intelligent conversation were impossible. HE filed a claim against me and I asked him to just mail it back to me. HE had the never to ask me to send him a prepaid label. I told him, no, put X ammount of stamps on the padded envelope or just bring it to post and pay 1st class shipping (4oz). HE ended up shippping it back and sent me the receipt where he went to some "shipping store" they charged him a roll of tape, a padded envelope, and some other shipping which came out to almost $10.00. My item was a flat price and I paid shipping. I flat our refunded him and the case was closed (ebay did not give me any option other than REFUND 100% and buyer keeps item) F$%k you eBay. I saw the mans photo in his profile. HE looked to be in his 50's. How the hell can you live your life that long and have a zero grasp on the postal service? I love you guys, abut stupid people should be soylent green. OR maybe a cast sytem from a brave new world? Anyway... People suck

How the hell can you live your life that long and have a zero grasp on the postal service? I love you guys, abut stupid people should be soylent green. OR maybe a cast sytem from a brave new world? Anyway... People suck

This is not meant in any way to be an attack in reply to this, just an observation.

I'm autistic. I have lived to be 67 years old, and I'm generally pretty good at the things I am able to do - indeed I'm employed in a role requiring highly technical levels of knowledge and skill - but outside of those capabilities, I can be hopelessly useless. Indeed, probably not just 'can be'.

I probably do seem to be stupid when I'm outside my comfort zone, and I probably do, actually, suck. But it isn't a choice, and it isn't curable simply because 'normal' is now how everyone else happens to be.

I say this because there are lots of people who are challenged by things others take very much for granted, and the only reason I even thought to respond to this is because one of my 'problems' is dealing with the U.S. Postal Service. I could try and explain why, but it would take an hour of your time, and you'd never be able to get that back, so instead I'll say that as a result, I've let eBay sellers off the hook a few times because I have kept defective or inaccurately described items since I really have been unable to send them back.

Being different really sucks!

I would assume EVERYONE is out of their comfort zone at the post office... And the DMV.. And a myriad of other places run by government/bureaucratic workers. Sorry not giving the guy any leeway, I told him how many stamps to use, I told him how much 1st class shipping would cost. He didnt listen to any of that information.

Were all different.. Were all special little snowflakes... Or so they will have us believe.

Regardless, we all need to get in line and RTFM (which I have in PDF form if anyone is interested)

Back