• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

quadra 950 av server

rmx77

i aquired an old mac quadra 950 av server and when i got it it booted as far as the extentions loading screen and would load 2 extentions and freeze i thought it was the hd so i changed it out with another of the same drive and it brought up a floppy with a ? in it and i thought well this one doesnt work so i put the origional hd back in and it still brings up the floppy with the ? in it and idk what to do and i dont have any back os's i can use not even on floppy

The floppy with the X in it means it cannot find an OS to boot from so it will sit there waiting for you to insert a bootable media (floppy, cdrom etc).

When you put the original drive back in, did you change anything on it like the SCSI termination?

Is the original hard drive connected to the motherboard or a 3rd party card?

Booting while holding the shift key should bypass extensions.

What do you mean by 950 AV? There was the normal 950 workstation, and the AWS95 server version. The AV series was the 660AV and the 840AV.

quadra 950 av

quadra 950 av

this is an av server and its a driect connect to the board i think and a funky number thing that goes to the cd rom and it only shows a floppy with a ? on it

You're being a little cryptic...what is direct to what board?
And what number are you reerring to as to the cdrom?

The Q950 was a relatively simple box. SCSI onboard, going to the drive and CD. after that, the AWS95 had an accelerated SCSI card in the PDS slot.

Tony

it has some clicky number buttion thing that goes from like 1-6 connected to th cd rom and also it has some like wireless or some battery or something also comming off the cd rom cable. the hd is driectly to the computer

eh, since you don't seem to know a thing your talking about, and i've heard these "terms" before, I'll elaborate for the others..

He's talking about an EXTERNAL SCSI CD-ROM drive.. The "number" thing he's talking about is the SCSI ID selector, and the "wireless battery" thing he's referring to is the SCSI Terminator..

its the hard drive and cd rom are connected as one and the cd rom has a counter button connected to it also it looks like a delete adaptor at the end of the cable made by amp

its the hard drive and cd rom are connected as one and the cd rom has a counter button connected to it also it looks like a delete adaptor at the end of the cable made by amp
what your saying makes no sense at all.. (im going to guess english isn't your native language, so im going to make this as easily said as possible)...

1. Is the hard drive in, or out of the computer?
2. Is the CD-ROM drive in, or out of the computer?

the button with numbers is the SCSI selector. What you are saying, sounds a lot like it is on the OUTSIDE of the computer. If that is the case, there is no reason the hard drive is on the outside too, and they would NOT be connected to each other.

3. Can you get a picture?

its all inside the computer and i could make a video of it and show u cause its kinda odd that the cd rom and hard drive are both connected together

its all inside the computer and i could make a video of it and show u cause its kinda odd that the cd rom and hard drive are both connected together
it's not odd at all, almost all the time devices connect to the same device.. im going to assume you haven't been in a computer much before...

don't need a video, just a picture..

i have been in computers before and that was the first time i ever saw a hard drive and cd rom connected by the same cable usually its 2 hard drives or 2 cd roms and i have a pict but i would have to email it to u since i dont have a link to it

idk what the button does and i would like to be able to get it running and all

A Q950 will boot off of a MacOS cdrom 7.1 to 8.1 if you hold the C button down on startup (or if there is no other bootable partition).

i have been in computers before and that was the first time i ever saw a hard drive and cd rom connected by the same cable usually its 2 hard drives or 2 cd roms and i have a pict but i would have to email it to u since i dont have a link to it

Welcome to the SCSI bus. SCSI = Small Computer Systems Interface

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCSI

SCSI was created as a standard to interface storage to computers, and was not platform specific. SCSI allows 8 devices on a bus, each having an ID of between 0 and 7, including the controller (most times ID 7). It is quite common to have 1,2, or even 3 hard drives on a SCSI bus, as well as a CD.

Mac's pioneered their use in everyday computer systems that normal people use, I believe in the SE or the II, back in like 1987 or so.

What you are seeing is a SCSI ID selector. Drives were either jumpered through a 3-jumper interface (3-bits = 0-7). The selector wheel was a quick way to change the ID, without messing with jumpers.

If you look on the back of an external SCSI cdrom, or hard disk, you will see a selector, although it may not be a wheel-type. Normally they have buttons below and above the number window, which allows moving the number up or down.

Tony

i have tried to make it boot from a cd rom and it wont even boot at all from it with what i have it wants only a floppy disk to boot from

Back