• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Quality of NEW AT PSU's

Overmann

Experienced Member
Hi there,

I'm wondering if anyone has done any tests or have opinions regarding the quality of some of the new AT PSU's that can be bought online.
Personally I've only tried StarTech's AT350, and while they appear to work fine I recently had TWO separate HDD's die in my Amiga 1200 tower within a couple of weeks. Now, they were both old drives, but I got concerned and replaced the StarTech AT PSU with a high quality modern ATX psu with a simple AT converter.

Now I have three unused, new, startech AT psu's that I'm hesitant to put into machines but the Amiga really wants a solid 5v rail, and I understand that AT psu's regulate the 5v rail and gives a hypothetically more stable power resulting in fewer potential problems.

StarTech is just one of the manufacturers (rebranders) out there, and even their ATX-supplies are of questionable quality. I'm just looking for thought, impressions, lessons, whatever you guys can do to shed some light on this is hugely appreciated. :)

I will be taking a multimeter to all of them, but I sold my scope so no luck there :(
But I still won't be able to get an impression of them under load.. ?

Bear in mind that many power supplies are only specified to run under a minimum load...

Back