• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Question about olivetti m19 keyboard

Elvi

Experienced Member
So yeah the cable of the m19 keyboard is uh... comming apart, well more like the rubber on it is, piece by piece, i've taped it before at the ends so it would hold, not pretty but atleast it's functional, anyone have any ideas on how to stop it getting worse or comming off completely?

The same seems to apply to the cord on the M24 keyboard. I've picked up a coiled MIDI cable that looks to be the right size and should work fine. Probably any coiled AT keyboard extension cable will work, as long as you're comfortable with solidering it up yourself. The advantage of the MIDI cable is that it already has a DIN connector on both ends, so you need only cut one end.

The M24 is a little bit different--it uses a DE9M (D-sub) connector on the CPU end, so there's not an easy "clean" way to do this.

Didn't mean the cable is comming apart just the outer shell, the rubber, the cable itself is perfectly intact and working.

Yes, same here--but since the cable is factory-molded, there's really no good way to fix the jacket. Replacing it seems to be the only permanent solution.

IIf it's like the M24\AT&T PC6300 keyboard, it does have a 9-pin connector, but it uses only 4 pins. I suppose you could take an old 9-pin serial port off some old computer (one of the ones with the cable to plug into a card), butcher that to remove the plug end and solder that onto the back of the keyboard and use a regular serial cable, I myself could do that as I have that stuff lying around already.

You would loose the curlyness, but it would be a cheap fix as far as I know, and if you keep it for another 30 years or so it's an easy cable switch.

No it's a normal DIN plug, can't really say how many pins atm as it's running, 5 or so probaly.

Maybe i'll just put a womans stocking on it when the jacket comes off completely :p

As far as I know, most MIDI cables carry all 5 pins of the DIN connector through. You can get them in black, white or beige and they should be carried by most music stores.

Example

Back